The Sky At Night

DavidOfBanff

It seems to appear on BBC 3 first, mid week, then eventually BBC 2 or 1 a few days after at the weekend.

As BBC tend to put it on either 1 or 2 depending on which is most convenient, dependancy being what else is on, it is not always the same channel. Think it is usually between 12:00 and 14:00 on a Saturday.

Also the weekend showing is usually/often 20 minutes long, the BBC 3 offering is 30 minutes. Something therefore gets chopped.

Half the challenge is actually tracking down when it is shown.

It seems to appear on BBC 3 first, mid week, then eventually BBC 2 or 1 a few days after at the weekend.

As BBC tend to put it on either 1 or 2 depending on which is most convenient, dependancy being what else is on, it is not always the same channel. Think it is usually between 12:00 and 14:00 on a Saturday.

Also the weekend showing is usually/often 20 minutes long, the BBC 3 offering is 30 minutes. Something therefore gets chopped.

Half the challenge is actually tracking down when it is shown.

BBC Four has the extended, prime-time showing.

If BBC Three were showing Sky at Night, Patrick Moore would've been replaced by Russell Howard by now.

If you have sky+ use that. It will automaticly tape it for you each month.

Ditto Virgin's TiVo.

I believe it is the longest running series with the same presenter in the world. Surely time for Lord Moore of Selsey?!?

TheThing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do not seem able to make up their mind on the time for this. Not too long ago it was on at something like midnight or 2:00am. With a repeat the next day, or soon after, at a more sensible time.

Now it seems to appear on Beeb 3 or 4 at about 19:30 in mid week. Then is shortened and reshown at around 12:00 to 14:00 on the Saturday. Presently on at this moment.

Wouldn't mind the 6" refractor however.

I've posted a TV listings text file in the Heads Up section that gives details for all SciTech programmes for the week.

A week in advance?

Ain't going to help, I can forget in less then 20 minutes what is on the TV.

I remember Sir Patrick Moore saying it's lasted so long because "it has no enemies"...

My wife told me this week the only way she can understand what Patrick's saying these days is to use averted hearing :D

Brilliant quotes!

Scheduling of the program is chosen to suit astronomers who enjoy hunting around in the late evening for an ever moving target. Imagers (those with Sky+ or TiVo) will have more consistent results but the challenge of locating the show manually is a visual astronomers delight.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived