First try of the Ring Nebula

Helen

The Ring Nebula eluded me visually for years, and was therefore special when I finally got to see it (I'd been using too low magnification I found out). So when I noticed it appearing the other night I thought I'd try and get it. It was low to the horizon - not ideal, and so not a great image, but hey its my First Ring for the album

Taken with NS8 (eyepiece end), Watec, Atik 0.5 reducer, 30 10.24 sec subs

image.jpg

Helen

You're much too modest Helen, That is a very good result you got of a difficult target. Considering the low altitude, you did remarkably well.

I am not certain as my laptop screen may be fooling me, but I think I detect a very faint central star, whos blown off atmosphere is responsible for the planetary Nebula. That would need to be verified by others, as I could be imagining it.

Well done, you did good.

Ron. :)

Helen,

I agree with Ron. This is a very good first attempt at the Ring Nebula. You should see the one I took a few years ago. Rog can remember our old Atik 2HS days...Lol.

I played with it a litlle...Maybe better, maybe not.

Well done...

Doug Neal

that is a very good image Helen ,and one to be very pleased with ,

i think with a true ccd camera you would turn out some really good images , i can tell that you have the ability to do well at this imaging game, but learn the skill with the watec, and maybe later upgrade to CCD,

wonderful first image Helen .

Rog

Very nice indeed Helen...

I managed to grab this one last year...

I can also remember the first time I saw it in my little ETX-70... :)

Very nice indeed...I like it very much.

Thanks everyone :)

Doug - thanks for playing, the background certainly looks better! what did you do to it? (I think the biggest learning curve is definitely on the processing..)

Rog - your scope is doing me proud, and my nephews are blown away with the way it works, so 8) 8) they think. I like the watec for visual, its great to watch things develop on screen, and I'm hoping I can use it to show my Mum things on a tv screen as she has an eyesight problem which won't allow her to use an eyepiece. But I also now wish I had a dedicated ccd... wait and learn and then spend (unless a good secondhand one comes up!)

Helen

Archived