Observing vs. Clouds

How many of you wait for a perfect clear night to obvserve?

Does anyone observe with partly cloudy nights to as low as a little fluff here and there?

I finally have two nights off and the weather channel predicts partly cloudy but sometimes never accurate anyway. I hope to see some clear parts of the sky.

If I waited for perfectly clear nights I would not observe very often !

On nights with an 50:50 mix of clouds and clear gaps I can still get some observing in with my 15x70 binoculars or my 4" refractor which can be put out / bought in very quickly.

Over the years I've learned to have as little complexity as possible with my kit to minimise set up / tear down times and maxmimise observing. I guess if I lived in the Arizona desert or somewhere similar I would have developed a different approach :)

If the sky looks clear in at least some directions I may give it a go.

The other night I was out observing and clouds began rolling in. I was about to pack up, then I looked towards the horizon and it looked clear in the distance. Sure enough, after making a cuppa the clouds had gone past and the skies were clear again.

Hi

Partial cloud helps as it reflects light pollution back down to the ground and the clear patches show dark sky and give good views.

That is good to know. I too was wondering about patchy cloud observing and the fact it reflects light pollution is great. Where I am if it is full low cloud you can easily see how much light pollution we get.

How many of you wait for a perfect clear night to obvserve?

Does anyone observe with partly cloudy nights to as low as a little fluff here and there?

I finally have two nights off and the weather channel predicts partly cloudy but sometimes never accurate anyway. I hope to see some clear parts of the sky.

Come to the desert, Lads!

We have clouds about twice a year - December and January. :)

Dan

I tend to give the sky a chance. If i see it has been completely clear for about 2 hrs after sunset then i will go out (because it usually means the rest of the night will be clear in my location). I have a couple of very portable setups (SW Heritage 130P,20x90 bins on a Horizon 8115 tripod,Celestron 70mm refractor also on the 8115............which i use for my imaging).

I'm really not into the whole "hit and miss" thing of observing for a couple of mins at best here and there between clouds.

So for me to bother going out...................i have to know that the night ahead will be completely cloud free.

Having said that...................i dont mind a few clouds passing by while i am observing the Moon. So if the Moon is around and there are scattered clouds passing by.........i will go out.

I do observe on some partly cloudy nights too, ideally with a scope that is quick to set up, then if it ends up with wall to wall clouds after all, not much time has been wasted setting up :)

I did one hour the other night and the view of Jupiter was stunning, well worth it!

From the Skywatcher website:
Check the weather forecast. The best conditions will have still air, and obviously, a clear view of the sky.
Note: It's not necessary that the sky be cloud-free. Often broken cloud conditions have excellent seeing.

What what? Telescope retailers now offer tips on best observing conditions for their products?

Archived