Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

canon 1000d

astropete

I use a 1000d for my DSO imaging. It is not modified as I also use it for normal photography.

It is a great camera for astro imaging. It has very low noise and no ampglow. It has live view which is good for aligning the mount and also focusing.

The only problem is it is not as sensitive in the red Ha region due to the internal filters fitted by Caonon. These can be removed but it makes normal photography more difficult as a custom white balance has to be used, or a clip in filter to replace the removed canon filter, but if you go the clip in filter route that then limits your lens choice to only EF lenses, not EF-S.

Have a look through my images, most were taken with my 1000d, not the greatest images seen on here, but I am happy with them......

Gary's Astronomy Images - a set on Flickr

HTH,

Gary

* EDIT * I just reread your post, seems you are imaging the moon so as mentioned, a webcam or similar would suit better. Having said that, there is a wee free application called EOS Movie Record that allows you shoot avi's with a Canon camera so that might make imaging the moon and planets possible with a 1000d.

thanks guys, its that my samsung nv4 8mp compact digital is near its sell by date and i wish to improve, also some of the pics on this site taken by the canon look fantastic.

ps garry your pics are excellent, i just wish i had a dark site instead of a two lampost back garden.

thanks guys, its that my samsung nv4 8mp compact digital is near its sell by date and i wish to improve, also some of the pics on this site taken by the canon look fantastic.

ps garry your pics are excellent, i just wish i had a dark site instead of a two lampost back garden.

Thanks for the kind words Astropete....... As for my location, I am on the outskirts of Livingston so I cant claim to have dark sky, the Astronomik CLS Clip filter works wonders on Light Pollution, just remember to set up a custom white balance on the camera to compensate for the colour shift towards blue.

Gary

Depends how you want to capture images of the moon. The DSLR will be great for a full shot, dependant on your scope but you may have to stitch 2 pics together. If you want to get some closer detail in specific craters or areas then webcam is the way to go. An SPC900 is pretty well supported and many people here have them. So you have a wealth of information about capture and processing already available on this site.

Hi Atropete.

If you take a look at my album, there is an image perhaps of interest to you.

Canon 1000D, with standard lens, filter removed for Astro use.

One pic shows the orange sky where I live, which I consider to be reasonably good for LP.

The 2nd shows the effect of the CLS clip in filter.

The LP here is principally from old low pressure sodium lights. The newer high pressure lights would be more of a problem for filtering.

hi david, thats the problem i have, two sodium street lamps either side of my back garden, so the moon is all i can observe. if i could achieve pics like your second one i would be well pleased.

thanks

peter.

Hi Peter. If you have not already, you should think about buying one of these:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter

They work amazingly well for the price.

P.S.~~~Its for use with your scope and EP's.

The 1000D is a great camera. I would have bought one but i have BIG hands and the 450D seemed to be more of a natural fit for me.

Archived