NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M45 WIP - Mystery Object...

fatwoul

Like everyone else who had it clear last night, I went out, and tried to pretend the Moon and the fireworks weren't happening.

I didn't get to bed until 7.30am, and I feel wrecked, particularly since it's clear again now and I'm trying to do it all over again, before the clouds roll in for another month!

As well as feeling wrecked, I'm also a bit excited by something that's turned up in a Merope mosaic I started.

While I wait for the next bits of data to come through, I thought I'd shove the first lots through DSS, and when I did, I discovered this strange little artefact:

M45MosaicMysteryObject.jpg

M45MosaicMysteryObjectZoom.jpg

The total number of frames it is on indicates it took about 1hr 40mins to move from one place to the other, so surely it is too slow for a satellite (certainly compared to the satellite that shot through one 300s frame to the top right).

Any ideas what it might be?

Nice image and capture.

Checking the asteroid database on CdC, I'd say it's asteroid 5399 Awa, currently at magnitude 15 and at that location right now, moving at a rate of 28" in RA and 8" in Dec every hour. 20km in diameter and not discovered till 1989. Asteroid 1993 FC27 is also very close by but at mag 19.6.

2 nights back i went out imaging orion nebula, i was taking time lapse shots of 30 secs. in 3 continuous shots i got somthing similar, moving through orion sword. 3 continuous shots is 90 minutes and the "thing" is still in picture...

am at work, will go home and post them...

Just for fun, here's an animated screen grab from Carte du Ciel showing all the other asteroids on my database close to the Pleiades that evening (there are 566,269 in total in the database!). Most are pretty faint, and Awa is the brightest. Boy, it's crowded up there.

post-16549-133877689497_thumb.gif

Just for fun, here's an animated screen grab from Carte du Ciel showing all the other asteroids on my database close to the Pleiades that evening (there are 566,269 in total in the database!). Most are pretty faint, and Awa is the brightest. Boy, it's crowded up there.

[ATTACH]72626[/ATTACH]

That graphic is both amazing and scary at the same time.:):evil6:

Thanks everyone, particularly Luke for going to so much trouble. I've been showing off all day at work telling people I photographed an asteroid. Mostly it's because I like saying "AWA". I'm also not telling them that the photo was a complete accident.

As Johnny and Theodoros mentioned, when I see stuff like that it really reminds me how dynamic it is out there.

Archived