NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hint for Beginners - Like Me

Go and get a Wixey, used it for the first time tonight - Wow. Where have you been all my 10 months of stargazing? Actually, had it a while and never got around to using it.

Anyway, level it, get the Alt coordinates, set the scope and then use the Telrad to get the Az about right and if its not in the FOV, it wont be far off. Great help.

Bart

There was a thread on here some months back by someone that made an AZ setting circle for their Dob base (card marked with 360 degrees). There was also a link posted to where you can download templates to print out for the same purpose. Wonder if the thread is still on the SGL server.

I use a wixey also for my Dob. Its great because at least i know i have the scope pointed to the correct elevation.

Buy a real Wixey. I had a clone, (a 'Bevel Box'), bought for me. On testing it out of the box it was awfull. You could tilt to over 5 degrees before it registered and on returning to zero it might still read up to 2.9 degrees. We returned it and asked for a refund. OK it might be defective but who wants to take the chance that another might be the same. So we got a Wixey, spot on in every respect, and cheaper than it's counterpart. So if you are considering one stck to a proper Wixey.

knowing the constellations is something you should do, but the Wixey can get around it if you have circles . A Wixey and a Telrad is another good combination. Its just that I found a couple of tricky galaxies very easily with it that night and was very pleasently surprised how easy it was

If you have Stellarium, or some other program to tell you the Alt of stars, I would suggest finding a nearby star, and then adjusting your Wixey's angle to that on the pogram. Do this by finding the altitude, and if the star is 2 degrees lower than it should be on the Wixey, then press Zero on your Wixey when it reads -2. That will reset it to read the correct angle for your star, and then help you find what you are looking for. If the angle is 2 degrees too much, set the zero on the Wixey when it reads 2 degrees.

This only works if the star you used to adjust the wixey is very close to being vertically above or below what you are looking for.

The reason I suggest this is because unless your site is completely level, the scope will tilt slightly, altering the angle your scope is pointing to.

Archived