Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AMAZING AFTERNOON

wackyscot

Hi all, thought I'd share with you, a wee session I had this afternoon. Not strictly an observing session but a session nonetheless. I heard from locals in Abernethy that a gentleman by the name of James Paton used to live not more than 100 yards from my house. (James was the distinguished Director of the BAA Aurora Section and also of the Balfour Stewart Laboratory at Edinburgh University)

See this link http://dundeeastro.com/about.php?url=7 there is a section about him.

I made some enquiries about him and found out his daughter still lived in the house, I also found out that some relics of his past still resided in "The Gods" of the old place. "Hmmmm I wonder?huh.gif?". So to cut a long story short, I made some more enquiries and voila, I got a warm welcome this afternoon at her house.

We spoke about her father for a while, and also Ms Paton, who enthused about the time in Orkney she first witnessed the Merry Dancers (Northern Lights/ Aurora Borealis), what an interesting lady she is. I then proceeded to show her some of my astro attempts and also a demonstration of Starry Night software on my laptop. She was just blown away by Starry Night, saying "how her father would have loved to have been around to see such technology".

She then suggested we went to "The Gods" shocked.gif as she called it. This was an area in the attic which had been added specifically for Mr Paton's observations of both Aurora and Noctilucent Clouds, and also had a telephone/telegraph hotline of some sort which Ms Paton told me of. We ascended numerous stairs and eventually entered an old room with flat dormer windows, which gave a panorama right across the Perthshire countryside, from west to east - wow. Ms Paton pointed out the platform on the roof, just outside one of the huge windows, which once housed her father's camera. The old fitting is still there and not a bit of rust on it. In the centre of the windows in pride of place was a huge pair of German made Bins

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/53578080@N04/6307305230/in/set-72157624874051826/)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53578080@N04/6306805429/in/set-72157624874051826/

which I had the privilege of using, "feel free to look through them" she said, I needed no encouragement, these old things had various filters, a finder scope and knobs everywhere. The wooden tripod was somewhat worn looking, but I'm sure would take any of today's giant binos. What a great afternoon, a wee bit of history, some bino ogling and an amazing lady. smiley.gifsmiley.gifsmiley.gifsmiley.gif

David

modify_inline.gif

Hiya Mike, keeping good thanks. Unfortunately, not gonna manage CSP4 (Cumbria Star Party 4 - fyi HEMIHAGGIS) My beloved has her amateur dramatics opera that week/weekend so I'm summoned thereto lol. Hopefully meet up later at some event, possibly at Galloway in early spring. If you fancy a weekend up here in Abernethy for a wee dram, feel free to gimme a call or p.m., loads of spare room up here. Also some damn nice skies. Probs only 150 miles and good roads. Just a thought.

Clear skies

David

Pity you can't make CSP4 but at least we can all sleep. See you soon no doubt.

Lmao Mike, had a great time and a footnote to this is I sent a copy of the post to Ken Kennedy, a fellow member of Dundee Astronomical Society, who coincidentally is now Aurora Section Director and was a colleague of the aforementioned Mr Paton. What a small world

David

Btw thanks for the kind words folks.

Archived