Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

'Turn Left at Orion', or 'NightWatch'?

Hello,

I'm new to astronomy, and I've been looking at buying an astronomy book to get me going. The two I've been looking at are 'Turn Left at Orion' and 'NightWatch'. They both look good, and I'm not sure which to get, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any idea which would be the better choice? (Of course, I could always just get both of them!)

Thanks!

I have both.

"Nightwatch" is a good general introduction to the hobby. After a year in I felt that I had outgrown it, but still find myself occasionally referring to the 20 Charts for observing suggestions and referring to it to refresh my memory as to the many invaluable tips and tidbits of information to be found between its covers.

"Turn Left at Orion" is a very different book. It is an observing list of celestial highlights throughout the year. It gives a sky view, finder view, and an eyepiece view (all diagrams) for each target. Included is a discussion of what you are observing and other nearby celestial targets. One of my fondest memories is the first time I observed the Double-Double. The view through the eyepiece was identical to the diagram in the book. A new and expanded edition is due for release in the very near future.

If I had to part with one though it would be "Nightwatch."

My suggestion is to buy the new edition of "Turn Left at Orion" and pick up a used copy of "Nightwatch."

I have both ''Nightwatch' provides a more general introduction to Astronomy and covers a wider variety of subjects but does include a nice gradual sky guide. TLAO is more geared towards seeing particular objects and provides a basic guide to star hopping.

Both are very good beginner books in my opinion. Get them both if you can.

The authors of 'Nightwatch' also wrote 'The Backyard Astronomers Guide' - I also recommend this. It contains a lot more information about equipment and the practicalities of observing. I found this really useful and it helped me understand a lot of the threads on this forum better.

i picked up all 3 books for 40GBP secondhand.

hope this helps

I have the new TLAO spiral Bound. Its the only book I know of that gives you what you will see through your scope throughout every month of the year. Not pretty pictures but exactly what you see through an eyepiece, dob, refractor or SCT. Perfect!

I have the new TLAO spiral Bound. Its the only book I know of that gives you what you will see through your scope throughout every month of the year. Not pretty pictures but exactly what you see through an eyepiece, dob, refractor or SCT. Perfect!

if you like TLAO for this reason then i suggest you check out 'The illustrated guide to astronomical wonders'

Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders: From Novice to Master Observer DIY Science: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Bruce Thompson, Barbara Fritchman Thompson: Books

its got enough to keep you occupied for a very very long time in the case of a newbie like me. This is without a doubt my favourite book.

if you like TLAO for this reason then i suggest you check out 'The illustrated guide to astronomical wonders'

Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders: From Novice to Master Observer DIY Science: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Bruce Thompson, Barbara Fritchman Thompson: Books

its got enough to keep you occupied for a very very long time in the case of a newbie like me. This is without a doubt my favourite book.

i'll second that :icon_salut: im quite new to this game and own turn left at orion, backyard astronomers guide and illustrated guide to astronomical wonders.

they are all good books but i feel astronomical wonders will be being used alot for many years.

Another vote for Astronomical Wonders, good information and pictures at good magnification. If you have a smaller scope <8", the pictures in the book might not be what you see at the EP, though (I think they use a 10" Dob) Good book though. Organised by constellation, which I think is a good idea, allows you to concentrate on a piece of sky at a time/session.

Bart

I have NightWatch myself, it is the 3rd Generation and have had it for some time. I've always used it while outside as it has good sky charts.

It also provides a lot of information about the hobby itself and some key tips to getting into observing and astrophotography.

i'll second that :icon_salut: im quite new to this game and own turn left at orion, backyard astronomers guide and illustrated guide to astronomical wonders.

they are all good books but i feel astronomical wonders will be being used alot for many years.

I agree with that.

TLAO is an excellent introduction to the idea of star hopping, but I've found that after a few sessions from my back yard I'm looking at the same things over and again due to the restrictions on my view.

So I've given my copy of TLAO to my brother while he uses my older scope, and I've kept the Illustrated Guide because it has far more content.

I'll grab TLAO back off him when the seasons change sufficiently for the constellations I can see to have moved. (If that makes sense?)

Archived