First Dob Scope Advice

Hi SGL,

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and buy my first scope. I am definitely leaning more towards a Dob as I am told there optics are well worth the money. I am intending in viewing a wide range of objects (if I can find them) so would need a good all rounder scope. My budget is limited and my max would be the 200P FlexTube AUTO Dob at £455 from FLO (the cheaper the better really). I would need a portable scope as I have to travel to a dark site. so am thinking a 10" is my limit.

My question is which dob should I go for?

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian - £271 (FLO)

Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian -£429 (FLO)

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube AUTO -£455 (FLO)

I am drawn to the AUTO especially as I am a complete beginner and it has an override option for star hopping.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

I am drawn to the AUTO especially as I am a complete beginner and it has an override option for star hopping.

Maybe you know this already but there is a difference between the AUTO and GOTO versions. AUTO just tracks things you have found by star hopping. GOTO finds and tracks.

I have just ordered the 200P FlexTube AUTO. Had the small Heritage 130P before which was good for its size. I got quite annoyed at having to constantly nudge the scope when using high magnifications though, e.g. when watching planets. Hope things will work out better with the AUTO dob..

I've owned the 200p dob Skyliner for about a month and can recommend it - obviously I am a novice and rather biased, so bear that in mind!

In about 6 observing sessions I've found plenty of DSOs, Jupiter of course, Mars, a few Ms, NGCs, loads of double stars. I'm enjoying it! I'm actually disappointed when I CAN'T find objects, as that's a problem with me rather than the scope.

It is a big piece of kit - 5ft tall when stored in a corner. It is pretty easy to move around, although the base does weigh a bit. I wouldn't want to carry it up or down to a top floor flat, despite being pretty fit. It only takes a few minutes to set up, and once cooled away you go.

I fitted a Rigel Finder straight away. This is indispensible for me - I use the Finderscope for star hopping but would struggle with it alone, I think.

I'm already wondering if I can see the poor quality of the 10mm EP. I will probably upgrade this (I must ask Santa for a new one!)

Star hopping was getting easier using my old scope as I got more experience, but with the dob it is much easier.

As I said, recommended, but I haven't used a goto or auto version....

Maybe you know this already but there is a difference between the AUTO and GOTO versions. AUTO just tracks things you have found by star hopping. GOTO finds and tracks.

OK so now you can all tell I am a beginner as will admit I thought the AUTO function would do the same as as GOTO. Thanks per167!!

Thank you to all for some great advice!! I think I will go with the 8" as recommended then. I am looking into some accessories to go with it. I am thinking I will definitely need a telrad and maybe a dew shield? are there any other accessories that would be classed as a must have with this scope? I know nothing about eye pieces either. Are the standard ones that come with the scope up to the job?

Thanks again!!!

I'm with the 8" Auto.

My son who is a beginner has the 10" Auto and it is a big help to have the scope track for you whilst you concentrate on observing.

By the way you may not be aware that you can upgrade the handset on the the Auto scope to make it a GoTo in the future when funds allow, a couple of links below for info.

HTH

Tony

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-mounts/128557-skyliner-250-flextube-auto-goto-how.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/127496-skyliner-auto-upgrade-goto.html

edit - not needed a dew shield to date, but a lot of observers use a camping mat folded around the end of the tube (couple of quid), Telrad or Rigel quickfinder http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/page/2/are the best £40 you'll spend in the early days for star hopping - use the eyepieces that come with the scope initially, this revelation set had a good reputation a couple of years ago as a starter set http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets.html and watch the forum for bargains second hand

After the initial shock, she will get over it, after a while it will just be another place to put the laundry on like mine was.
:)

remind me to order a new clothes horse at the same time then , she will be soooo pleased ;)

Archived