NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Really slow refractors

I've been observing for less than a year armed with my 130 reflector - many good, and occasionally cold times :icon_salut: - and my interest in DSOs has increased. But lately I've become very interested in planets (with Jupiter looking that way who wouldn't) and especially double/variable stars.

For the former I realise there's little substitute for aperture, so eventually a 10/12 inch Dob will be mine. However I find myself drawn towards refractors, especially long slow ones. I don't know there's just something about them...

My question is whether this is "normal", and if there's anyone else similarly afflicted out there, what are you're favourites?

Hard to get a Tal at the moment :icon_salut:

I've seen some good looking options from Lyra Optics, Vixen, oh and Skylight make some fantastic looking instruments... if the money's available.

The 100ed has been on my mind for sometime. It's at the speedy limit for me (f9 I think), but has a great reputation.

I like using a manual mount, and I've recently upgraded to an EQ5. It's overkill for my little 130P, solid as a rock though, but is it man enough for one of these refractors? Visual use only.

My wife's started calling my research telescope **** recently, and that picture falls right into that category John, it's a gorgeous setup :icon_salut:

I hoped the EQ5 would be alright. There was a bit of an ulterior motive in its purchase: "I won't even need to buy a new mount dear" :D

Archived