Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

High power eyepiece for 200p Dob

ecosse

I was planning on buying an 8mm BST explorer to replace the 10mm that came with my scope but sky's the limit is currently closed. What are people's opinions of the celestron-x cel 8mm? Flo have it reduced currently for £45

Is he closed as in not there or closed as in not selling?

Occasionally he runs up against the monthly turnover for VAT. So stops selling so that he does not have to register for VAT. The paperwork can be a pain and if you are normally just below the limit then it is a reasonable idea. Keeping VAT records for a lot of small items is painful. Also I guess means that you have a short break from the business at odd intervals.

If the latter then Nov starts Monday so give him a try then.

If he is on holiday then I will have to kill him as I want 2 more BST's next week.

The old Celstron X-Cels never impressed me at all. I wouldn't recommend them. The new X-Cel LXs though are great eyepieces and highly recommended.

While the TMB Planetaries are good, the BST Explorers are a bit better.

John

:D

Well I ordered the BST explorer 8mm from skys the limit on Thursday night and it arrived seconds ago!! Clear skies forecast for tonight again so here's hoping I get a chance to use it. Also I was pleasantly surprised at the size of it! A lot bigger than I expected from an 8mm ep but I suppose that's down to the large fov it has :)

Well I have tried it out and yes it is so much better than the supplied 10mm! Looking at Jupiter the belts started to look almost grainy and a lot sharper.

Quick question though when I'm using this eyepiece I seem to get like a reflection of light that moves around the fov if you move your eye slightly which is rather annoying. It doesn't seem to do this when looking at the moon I only experienced it on Jupiter. Can anyone shed any light?

would a dew shield/light shield help with my light reflectoin problem or is this a problem within the new eyepiece?

This was bugging me slightly last night as it was like having a fly or something buzzing about in the fov if that makes sense.

I noticed this ghosting in my large lens short FL EP's (radians, tmb clones) from time to time. I put it down to air between the lens condensation and causing scattered light as the lower lens cools and the eye lens warms from the warmth of the face. I think it's this because I didn't notice it all the time, only now and again and only on Jupiter and the brighter stars.

Archived