Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy in winter?!?

Roughly speaking the colder the better for electronics, took DSLR out in -15C last winter. Just need to be careful with moisture from frost melting on electrical kit and spend time drying out "sensitive" equipment whilst packing if not at home. Double check it is okay once back home. If at home I leave pre-cleaned equipment unpacked in the garage to warm up naturally before packing away.

Occasionally run a de-humidifier with electronic gear to help reduce any internal moisture content which may form during the cycle of cooling and warming. I don't know if it helps but it's precautionary and seems sensible, I've had no mishaps over the last 4 years.

We have a continental climate and are at altitude so winter goes down to -20, though default is about -10 in Jan/Feb. We run all through the year without difficulty and some of the kit is getting on a bit but works fine. If it ain't broke...

Olly

Alright, no need to rub it in :o

Sorry Astro Imp, I couldn't resist. :)

Actually, we DO have winter here - it can get cold at night (-20 C is not unknown), and we have virtually all the rain we will get for the year in December, January, and February... all 6-8 inches of it.

I'm a refugee from winter, actually. I was born in southern Wisconsin where it can hit -40 C :D. Hmmmm... no wonder I left!

Dan

iv been outside last year in -7 degrees with a foot of snow all around me and it was one of the best nights i had, just remember to put summet around powertank and leave all the equiptment in a conservatry for a few hrs to naturally dry off as it will become dripping wet same with eyepeices and camera lens i usaly leave them on their side with the scope

Archived