Hi all

combattuk

Hi my names matt I'm 26 and I live in Hampshire, currently serving with the armed forces as a mechanic in the REME,

I used to be massively into star gazing when I was a kid my parents bought me a 4.5" reflector I spent hours at a time starring at the sky with it I still have the scope which I recently bought out of storage and set it up so I can continue where I left off, il be purchasing a new one soon I'm looking at either a Meade 90 or a skyhawk 1145p with motorised base so I can start taking pictures of planets/galaxy's etc as before I could only get decent shots of the moon with my old scope, I also have access to Salisbury plain where I have no light pollution so on clear night I can get some really good images,

also iv seen the nights sky from the deserts of Afghanistan and the training areas in Alberta in Canada where you can see everything with no light pollution at all and it's really impressive and hopefully in the future il return to those places with a scope and camara to get some shots,

Il have loads of questions to ask so I hope you all don't mind

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

awesome, iv been doing some research into my next scope and quite frankly I'm getting a little confused with all the technical side to it all and all the numbers and measurements, il have a browse through previous post so I don't re-ask questions that have been ask hundreds of times before

Hi Matt and welcome to SGL, if you have already had a 4.5" unit in the past why not be a little more adventuresome and go for something in the range 127 - 150 if finances will permit, the 127 Mak is very popular and has produced some very fine images for their owners :D

John.

hi matt am x light infantry did you go in to edmonton ,and gas town drinking in alberta did the 6 week ex there in the 90s also stayed at both bulford and tidwoth, horrible places also germany 2, years 3 tours bandit country,belize

I'm on a budget of £300 and I don't mind second hand as I can get alot more scope for my money,

iv seen Meade 90 etc for around £250-£300 on eBay

If I could I'd love to get the biggest scope that money could buy and have an observatory in my back garden lol but budget sucks ha ha

Any advice on what I could buy for around £300 would be great I want to see as much objects as possible in that price range

I was on exercise in batus back in 2008 and again January this year I was out on the area for 3 weeks and the sky's amazing out there, I only went into medicine hat and a 4 day trip to Banth snowboarding but never got the opportunity to go into edmonton,

Tidworths come on leaps n bounds since the 90's they have a tescos n pizza hut there now lol and all the camps been rebuilt with new buildings n hangers so it's not to bad now

Archived