Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

64 Bit Versus 32 Bit

barkis

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never knew something like Risk needed so much CPU! (forgive me if i'm simplifying things heh)

You are mate. Things have moved on, to use Risk as an example of a computer strategy game is like using the original Doom as an example of a shooter., AI is very impressive over what it was 4 or 5 years ago. The answer then was to let the computer opponents cheat, know they tend to figure it out themselves. The scope of these games is also a lot bigger which gives the AI more to consider.

strategy games dont tend to need as much grunt as shooters. And web surfing and word processing even less. I have no idea why people buy 3Ghz CPU's to surf the net with

Company of Heroes needs a meaty PC to keep the graphics moving smoothly......such a good looking game but also one of the best RTS games.

Shooters are PC only affair for me. Tried playing Call of Duty on the console....drove me nuts.

Consoles are great for driving, sports and one on one fighting games.

strategy games dont tend to need as much grunt as shooters. And web surfing and word processing even less. I have no idea why people buy 3Ghz CPU's to surf the net with

CAD, games, video editing etc demand the high specs. There's no reason for a web surfer to have anything more than a low powered Celeron/Sempron.

At work we are still using Win2K extensively and in some parts, NT4 too. Can't say I would consider either those OS's for home use. Both feel clunky and dated. And in parts very annoying.

I will get round to dual booting the PC again. Go with Vista and Linux (not sure which one yet).

Russ

End games in Civ3 and Civ4 use massive amounts of CPU power, on a slow computer a turn can literally take minutes for this reason Civ3 used to be used as a CPU ratings benchmark by some sites. One area you can skimp is graphics cards but even then there are games like Rome Total War which need decent cards.

My eldest son likes Civ4, I just can't on with it. But Rome Total War, now that's a different story. Graphics card is a crucial choice for Rome and especially Company of Heroes.

"Vista and Linux": You can get one of those Live Linuxes where it runs off a CD and doesn't actually install. I just installed an Ubuntu and it went pretty smoothly with a brand new dual-AMD Dell, he lied. Actually, I needed to start it with "install noapic nolapic".

I was interested by that "Human Footprint" program. The average person would get through SEVEN computers in a lifetime. Did they count the upgrades? (LOL) Mind you, I was left with the feeling I was missing out on a lot of OTHER stuff though! :p

#0: Atari STE x 2 (Do these count?) :lol:

#1. IMB Cyrix 100 ... R.I.P :D

#2. P II (333) Win98 -> Duron 900 (SuSE) -> Duron 1.6 (SuSE)

#3. Homebrew XP 1800+ (WinME/WinXP) -> XP 3500+ (WinXP)

The Off-White box (albeit drilled for extra fans/windows etc.) still rules here... :D

#0: Atari STE x 2 (Do these count?) :D

Yes they certainly do! Let's put it like this. If it wasn't for Atari putting MIDI ports onto the ST range, then music as we know it over the last 20 years wouldn't have been anything like it is today. Damm fine gaming machines too!

Either I'm about to snuff it, or I'm not very average. Seven? More like seventeen so far. On my fourth lappy!

Captain Chaos

erm... at this moment in time there's 4 desktops, and 2 laptops, under my "desk"...

Generally I'll upgrade a machine about every 3/4 months. Technology moves that

fast, that a top spec machine will probably be the bottom spec machine in 6 months

time...!!!

I used to do that HM - but got tired of screwing the side panel back on, only to find something else had gone obsolete!!

Haven't upgraded for a couple of years now....

Archived