NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light and first ever image.

Well after having to wait 10 days due to clouds I finally managed to get my new Explorer 250PDS out in the back garden tonight. I'd spent the past ten days watching endless Astronomy Shed vids (highly recommended) to make sure I was ready for big night. All went fairly smoothly with no great dramas although the night was interrupted temporarily when a mysterious fire started two gardens away and two fire engines turned up!

After that excitement I settled down and had a look at some of my favourites. After coming from a 130SLT I could see so much more even in my heavily LP'ed back garden. The double cluster showed many more stars than I was used to and the Great Cluster in Hercules made me let out a 'Wow!' when I realised how many individual stars I could see.

Then Jupiter popped above the roof of the house and I thought, 'Great time to try and get my first image.' I had ordered an LX modded Phillips SPC900NC and this was to be it's first outing. So I fired it up in non LX mode and took around 1300 frames in Sharpcap and then set about processing the avi with registax. I had no real idea what to expect for my first effort but being totally honest I am literally over the moon with the result.

Jupiter151011.png

So that rounded of a fantastic night and leaves me hungry for much more. Roll on more clear skies!

I'm no imager but I'd say that is an excellent result for your 1st attempt - I suspect that many would still like to achieve that after a number of attempts !.

The seeing conditions were excellent tonight so you picked a great one for have your 1st light :D

Your photo captures the details I was glimpsing during the moments of best seeing with my ED120 refractor - the imaging process makes the colours a bit stronger than I could see visually though.

Thanks for the report and for posting the picture ;)

Archived