hello

darin

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Andy and welcome to SGL!! You are about to get as many different answers as replies! It really does depend on what you want to look at - the Moon and Planets or Deep Sky objects like star clusters, galaxies and nebulae. Let us know and the advice will soon be forthcoming.

Hi Darin,

Welcome to SGL. Thats a good budget for a first telescope, keep some cash back to get a couple of decent eyepieces and a barlow. What sort of viewing are you interested in???--- Mainly planets or Deep Space Objects known as DSO's or fuzzies :-).

This will give us something to go on. Be prepared for some good advice from the lounge.

My first tip before spending any cash would be to go along to a local astro group so you get an idea what suits you best and how big some scopes are!

My grab & go is a short tube 120mm refractor. Its a great compromise on portability and apperture,.

Good Luck with your hunt!.

transportable.im 30 miles from dartmoor.will also set up in spare bedroom.

so you need something quite small to break down to stick in your car. a lot on here swear by the skywatcher 127 mak, and you would have some change to get a couple of alternative eye pieces.or you could get a dobsonian they are very good as well. have a look at the forum main sponsor at the top of the page just click on it. FIRST LIGHT OPTICS. hope this helps

Welcome.

You will be amazed at how willing to help the people on this forum are.

I am only about 18 months into Astronomy but I very quickly realised I wanted to do Astrophotography (AP). Something I wished I had found out earlier is the importance of the mount and that you should spend more on the mount than the telescope. Rather than buy the very best scope I could for my budget I wished I had bought a cheaper scope so I had more to spend more quickly on a good mount.

Early days but worth a bit of reading around this before you spend all that five hundred quid.

Look at second hand too.

Cheers,

Steve.

transportable.im 30 miles from dartmoor.will also set up in spare bedroom.

Hi darin, Welcome to SGL :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood what you said with 'set up in spare bedroom', but telescopes don't work very well through windows, even if they are open because of thermal differences in the air.

Different scopes have different strengths, a scope that is excellent at viewing the planets may not be good at galaxies for instance.

As faulksy suggested the skywatcher skymax 127 is apparently a good scope, reasonably portable, better with moon and planets than with galaxies etc, and within your budget. It also has the advantage of a computerised mount to guide the scope for you.

Do you have a garden you can view from?

Hi there and welcome to the SGL

For scope advice you are probably better off posting in the beginners help and advice section.

As in the welcome section you will mostly just get that.

Regards Steve

Ps I will advise a 6" Dob

Best to start cheap and simple until you know what aspect of the hobby floats ya boat.

IMO always best to start cheap and simple as this hobby can get pretty complicated and Pretty expensive real quick.:rolleyes:

Hi and welcome

you can get a second hand goto 8 inch dobsonian for 400 quid, although you might have to drive to east sussex to pick it up

then a colimating laser and a starfinder, then get some better eyepieces second hand for christmas

Archived