NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astro Newbie

Glazious

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this community and Astronomy. I have been with some of my friends who are already more accommplished, and I am totally facinated. I have been given the book "Turn left at Orion" and a pair of "revalation" 15 x 70 binoculars. I have read some of the other posts from more experienced Astonomers that advise the first step is to learn about what I can see with the naked eye or binoculars first before investing in a telescope. Any advice for for someone who is litterally a blank page with zero experience/knowledge, but who is very entusiastic is most welcome!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Glazious, welomce to SGL :rolleyes:

I found that book to be a very good read as a complete novide. If you have or can get to dark skies the heavens will really open for you with those binoculars. I was amazed when I first saw Andromeda through mine.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Looks like you are off to a very good start - providing the clouds play along! :rolleyes:

My only advice to you is in regard to buying a scope and that is to take your time and do your research. You can read all the specifications and terminology that's out there, even recommendations from folk on here but it won't mean a thing unless you have established your own bench mark from which to make comparisons. The best way to create this datum line is to go along to a public observing session organised by either your local astro society or observing group, to start looking through some of these scopes. You will also benefit from asking questions about setup and cool down times and by standing next to the kit, gain some idea of its portability. Take a small note pad with you and write some of the details down, especially eyepieces, as they contribute a lot to the viewing experience. Most importantly of all, you will benefit from actually looking through this kit, after all, that's what astronomy is all about and the only thing that really matters. There's nothing like actual experience to help YOU decide which scope and what setup would best meet YOUR own expectations and that's something only YOU can decide.

One further recommendation would be to keep asking questions on this forum no matter how daft they may seem at the time. As stated above, it is important to obtain your own experience but that of course can also include the experience of members on here, especially in areas like astrophotography where 'try before you buy' is a little bit more difficult.

Hope that helps

James

Archived