Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount noise

oshb5

hi All

I have a CG5 with a Ioptron GoTo Nova fitted Even though slightly less noisier that the CG5GT its still quite noisy compared. and it uses DC type servo motors with encoders fittd on the back. Apart from the noise and the ugliness of the CG5 im a bit loathed to get rid if it for the simple reason of the extra features the GoTo Nova offers over other goto mounts.

I bet this next bit has been covered many times but peace of mind is a wonderful thing.. That said I have been out and brought a HEQ5 Pro. The price was I think about right . However even though I thought I had done my homework on the mount on what to look for and check out nothing prepared me for the start-up and breaking noise of the mount that it made when it slews at the highest rate.:rolleyes: I rang round a few friends but none was available. At that point I nearly did not buy the mount. but then one rang back and I asked him about the noise and even let him listen to the noise over the phone which he said sounded about right. However to me who has been a precision engineer all my life and still am on the miniature steam traction engine front I just cringed and gritted my teeth every time the mount started or braked I just wanted to stop it and say its &%$£$£ But once it got moving you could hardly hear it move at all. Anyway iv searched the net and you tube and read and watched no ends of articles and videos and I wouold say that they are aout 50/50 hence I am jsut asking for my own peace of mind not that I dont trust my friends information But more than anything because to see it in black and white. Iv had it a couple of days now and Im itching to get it into the workshop to strip re-grease and rebuild it. But before I did that I wanted to hear your comments.. Can anyone shed any light on what may make this noise or what may need to be adjusted to lessen it at all?

Many thanks Andy

I didnt think anything could beat the coffee grinder CG5:)

I have a CG5 so I feel your pain with the noise, but dont know much about the HEQ5. Since your an engineer I dont see anything wrong with looking for a solution to your noise issue. If anything, Im curious to know what you discover. Good luck:)

But you only get the worst part of the noise at the start of the slew and then when it brakes before it stops?... But it beeps at the end of the slew so not needed But I am thinking you meant it as a joke correct?

Even if you could swap the servo motors for stepper motors I don't think it would make much difference as it's more likely the drive train resonating in the plastic casing that's the problem.

SW goto still make noise due to the idler gear, but they are not as notorious as the old celestron coffee grinder. Seems the only way to reduce the noise dramatically is to convert the mount to belt drive, as some are doing with the SW EQ6

Hey Andy the HEQ5 is quiet as a mouse compared to the original celestron CGE that I have, talk about waking the neighbours:rolleyes: In the end I duct taped the outside of the motor casings which were sheet ali and acted as perfect sound boards, this reduced the resonance but the motor noise is still there.

I have noticed the HEQ5 is noisier than the HEQ6. You can fardly here the 6 in full slew so it would be interesting to see what the difference is in the drive trains between the two mounts

Phil

I've got both mounts.

Both the CG5-GT and the HEQ5 make some horrible noises whilst accelerating and decelerating.

When slewing the difference is that the HEQ5 is a lot quieter than the CG5-GT, but still not silent.

When tracking both mounts are almost silent, you have to put your ear on the casing to check they are moving.

I've stripped and regreased both. Adjusting the drive train can minimise the start/stop noise on the HEQ5 but won't necessarily get rid of it. It made no difference at all on the CG5-GT.

If it was my new mount I'd leave it alone for a while and measure some periodic error and test its slew and tracking accuracy before taking it apart. Without a benchmark you won't know whether you are making things better or worse.

Hi Phil and Glider

Yes its the start up and braking of the HEQ5 that got me worried It made me rearly grit my teeth but once it starts its very smooth and quite unlike the CG5 which is constant noisy all the time. But the HEQ5 is noisier when it starts and syops. Kim listend to the HEQ5 i fetched and he said His HEQ6 sounded about the same? I may just have a look at the gearing and check for excess backlash and wear on the gears or shafts If there is nothing that stands out I will put the cover back on and let it develop :rolleyes:

Andy

Andy

i have the HEQ5 mount and was a little worried about the motor noise late at night or early morning,thinking about the neighbors,i used it for the first time last night (in doors i might add....grrrrr clouds) wanted to check that it all worked ok as ive had a few weeks now,so just wanted to check that it was ok,it works great and hardly any noise at all,quite a high pitch so i can see it setting off a few dogs :rolleyes: but deffo none of the noises you describe,hope you can sort out the probs soon.

Aggghhhh Another one with no noise Its either mine, Gliders plus quite a few hearing are over sensitive or there is something wrong with the mounts start up and braking at rate 9 because it does sound like a bag of bolts or even steel on steel gratering a very metalic sound Is that how you would describe yours Glider?

Andy

The noise you are hearing is from the gears rattling..easy to sort out.

Open up the side....undo the first motor and lift out.The brass gear has a grub screw on the shaft..loosen it then tighten the nut on top of the brass gear and retighten the grub screw. Job done. Don't tighten the nut to much though or it will cause the motor to bind.

Repeat for other motor.

Hope it helps

Matt.

im an engineer as well at it must be something to do with the backlash in the drive train just back the servo of and release some backlash has to work.also if theres to much backlash after adjustment the encoders should correct any over travel

The noise you are hearing is from the gears rattling..easy to sort out.

Open up the side....undo the first motor and lift out.The brass gear has a grub screw on the shaft..loosen it then tighten the nut on top of the brass gear and retighten the grub screw. Job done. Don't tighten the nut to much though or it will cause the motor to bind.

Repeat for other motor.

Hope it helps

Matt.

Hi Matt

I take it from the photos iv seen as Iv not opened the unit up yet you mean the middle idler gears? as they look as though thay have a large flat nut on top of the gear and Iv also sean a photo showing excessive end float of this gear.. Are the gears involuted as on some of the photos they look it.

Regs Andy

Archived