Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Making 'windows' smaller?

TheThing

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I deliberately avoided getting a netbook with Win7 Starter. My NC10 runs XP and its fine for guiding, video capture, DSLR Control, Planetarium apps etc.. infact it does a better job of video capture than my obs laptop...

I upgraded the Ram to 2GB and its "perfect" for what I want it to do...and is compact and gives me good battery life in the field..

Peter...

Open control panel-display-settings-advanced-monitor:

Uncheck the box marked "hide modes that this monitor cannot display.

apply-ok. I think you'll need to restart, but only the once.

I had to set this in order to install EOS utilities on my netbook.

each time I run EOS, I need to change the resolution, which makes it workable, but a PITA to have to scroll up and down sort of thing.

It should work with registax etc too...

Netbooks aren't rubbish, they are just netbooks, for surfing the net and performing minor tasks. Laptops are just too large & heavy for dragging halfway around the globe in ones 'man-bag'.

I aim to upgrade my RAM to 2GB, which aught to speed up my photo editing stuff...

...My NC10 runs XP and its fine for guiding, video capture, DSLR Control, Planetarium apps etc.. infact it does a better job of video capture than my obs laptop...I upgraded the Ram to 2GB and its "perfect" for what I want it to do...and is compact and gives me good battery life in the field.
Heheh. Yup - [The Same] Works for me. And, if you pull out ALL the foam columns, the NC10 fits in a smaller "Maplin Flight case". <G> I did free up one of the USB ports, by purchasing a Logitech V470 Bluetooth mouse. Of course, the "gamer generation" will cry LATENCY - And, there is indeed some. But, "Am I bovvered"? [teasing] ;)

Virtual [XP] desktops have some appeal. I'm trying to get more "into" keyboard shortcuts. Though of course, at my great age, I need the odd "crib sheet" pasted to the observatory wall... :rolleyes:

Surely there is a magnification tool under the acessabillity option for the visually impaired!? if so this tool should enable you to look around the whole page and it should scroll in all directions maybe even enable control of the magnification level as well..

Option 2 use an external monitor

Option 3 use the right tool for the job...net books are Net books after all...

I thing Windows 7 starter has a lot to do with it to be fair ...

They have knobbled all the useful stuff... I guess rather than making windows smaller you actually need to make the Desktop bigger (higher res)

This Wiki entry will show you how much you have lost...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

What's the model number of the laptop...

Peter...

i'm sitting behind my mac but i'm sure your missing the easy way...magnifyer will let you zoom around the whole screen and you can change the mag with the slider..

if this helps

[Win++] - Zoom in

[Win+-] – Zoom out

[Win+=] – Magnifier

good luck....you could always ebay the pesky childs toy and get a real computer. lol

good luck....you could always ebay the pesky childs toy and get a real computer. lol

This netbook bashing is getting a bit boring.. if you know their limitations (in this case windows 7 starter) then they can be very useful...:D

I bought mine for use with a widefield setup thats was to be used a long way from the car, mains supply etc and the netbook adds very little to the weight and bulk of the kit that needs to be dragged to the location whilst providing all and more of the functionality I need...

Peter...

Seconded!

I'll give the Win + a go in about 5 hours when the work iPhone has finished updating. Can't understand why they give me a work phone, but won't let me use a work laptop to update it!

i'm sitting behind my mac but i'm sure your missing the easy way...magnifyer will let you zoom around the whole screen and you can change the mag with the slider..

if this helps

[Win++] - Zoom in

[Win+-] – Zoom out

[Win+=] – Magnifier

I think you're missing the point - he's not trying to magnify the screen, he's trying to view content that exists outside of the desktops physical area.

This netbook bashing is getting a bit boring.. if you know their limitations (in this case windows 7 starter) then they can be very useful...:D

I bought mine for use with a widefield setup thats was to be used a long way from the car, mains supply etc and the netbook adds very little to the weight and bulk of the kit that needs to be dragged to the location whilst providing all and more of the functionality I need...

Peter...

Seconded

Ive been following the constructive side of this thread with interest thanks guys

I have an XP loaded netbook with the same problems, DSS, guidemaster all have bits missing off the bottom of the screen.

Tried the Gimespace and this, as you have said only does horizontal scrolling and is a pain with messages all the time so thats been taken off. Tried the unchecking tip to no avail as well.

So its not just a win 7 problem its there with XP as well

Philj

My Samsung NC10 works ok ... Using Easy resoultion Manager...

I will try the scrollable desktop setup whe i get home this evening...

The Chipset in the Netbook will also need to support higher resoultions...

Win 7 Starter with its deliberate neutering a more specific "problem"

Peter...

I think you're missing the point - he's not trying to magnify the screen, he's trying to view content that exists outside of the desktops physical area.

:D Clearly 'you' missed the point!! with magnifyer the whole screen is never shown, if you enable magnifyer you can scroll around the whole screen including the bits outside this would enable you to click the buttons you cant see when needed.

If the bashing of Netbooks was aimed at me? i'm not bashing netbooks just the uses people try to put them to. and a net book is still only a net book.

i do apreciate that a 6-9 hour battery life is very handy in the field.

and they are getting more powerfull with the new gen Atoms. but as with this thread still limited to frustration.

I'm sorry if my input was not constructive enough to have solved your problem but please by no means think that i was trying to blockade your resolve. WOW.....

each to their own....

I have just checked the options on My Samsung NC10 Running XP

The panel has a native reolution of 1024x600 , it can run as 1024x768 using Samsungs Easy Resolution Manager app... (but this slows the display refresh down)

Through the Graphics Properties Dialogue it can run in any larger resolution and becomes 1024x600 window onto the larger desktop which scrolls automatically as you reach the edge of the window.

The Display is handled by the integrated Intel Graphics Media Driver for Mobile and it's Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset...

No third party virtual desktop apps are needed.

Peter...

GiMeSpace allows you to fix the size of the windows too and scroll about. Scrolling can be annoying as you end up chasing the thing round the screen, but it will solve the issue quite well.

Cheers

PEterW

PS I got my netbook before 'pads came out.... runs everything I need it to... Registax runs on a "proper computer".

PPS Got a 'pad too.

Archived