NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Making 'windows' smaller?

TheThing

Ok, I am a technical luddite, so please bear with me. Speak slowly and in words of one syllabal! :rolleyes:

I have a netbook as my main astro PC with a circa 10" screen. When I open programs such as Meade's Envisage or Nebulosity, the program window is often too large for my screen and I loose important stuff off the bottom. In most cases, there are no scroll bars to move down and gain access to those bits.

(Hope this is clear!)

Is there anyway of making the program window smaller, to fit the screen at all please?

Thank you,

Technically Inept of Epsom!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I running the basic Windows 7 and I only have two options for resolution - 1024x680 or 800x600. Neither works!

Nor does increasing the size of the type to 125%.

Any other suggestions please?

Set the desktop size to be LARGER (ie. a VIRTUAL DESKTOP SIZE) so you can SCROLL around it and you only see a viewport the size of your resolution.

Actually I think they removed the "pan and scan" option for Windows 7 that used to be in older windows versions hmm... you may need an app for that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/34780-no-pan-scan-virtual-desktop-windows-7-a.html

Yeah they removed that hmmm..

Try this app... http://sites.google.com/site/gimespace/

You can't do it I'm afraid without third party software.

There may be something for Windows, but I'm not aware of it off the top of my head. All my searches for Virtual Desktop came up with multiple desktops which is not what you need.

To be fair I think you would need a custom graphics chipset driver to implement this anyway.

Get a cheap laptop with better resolution.

netbooks (unless it is a 4gb ram dual core dedicated gfx 11" monster like mine :rolleyes: ) are worthless plastic door stops.

Seriously, avoid integrated graphics and Atom CPUs, they got replaced by "pads".

You would be better buying a cheap proper small laptop.

This is no help to you but I wish netbooks would come with a warning along the lines of ......."this is a pretty useless, slow computer running a nasty cut down version of windows and displaying it all on on an eye boggling little screen"

Netbooks are fine for, as the name suggests, simple browsing, mailing facebooking etc, but for serious computing they are useless.

Most folk I know who have bought one (usually in ignorance) wish they hadn't.

Best advice is sell it and buy a sensible laptop.

Netbooks are great, but your kidding urself if you think a few hundred pound computer is going to perform all the jobs of a full spec laptop, as for being plastic doorstops.... thats rediculous, keep it simple and keep installed apps to a minimum ( remove all the preinstalled software) and it will perform all the tasks you would expect for 200 pound

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

Ok, I'm not interested in netbook bashing, thank you! To quote Thumper's father from Bambi, 'If you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all.'

Let's keep to the question in hand please?

Allan, it's a HP netbook. I find it great for web browsing and running all the astronomy programs I need for capture and processing as well as Stellarium etc. Nice and neat to carry in the field and light too. I'll have a look at that app you suggest, thank you.

TheThing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I'm not interested in netbook bashing, thank you! To quote Thumper's father from Bambi, 'If you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all.'

Allan, it's a HP netbook. I find it great for web browsing and running all the astronomy programs I need for capture and processing as well as Stellarium etc. Nice and neat to carry in the field and light too. I'll have a look at that app you suggest, thank you.

TheThing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then you are out of luck, enjoy the porthole view.

Great idea, thank you, but it only increases scrolling side to side. I need up and down!

Try 360Desktop

Netbooks are perfect so long as you realise their restrictions. Mine is the perfect astro computer, but not for image processing. I do that on the grown up Mac :rolleyes:

Everything I need in the field can and does run on it, and from it. Including FireWire DSLR control ;)

If you press ALT+X, do you get a menu with a zoom facility.

Probably not with your Windows version, but try it anyway.

If you do have it, then you can use control+T to open other windows, and zoom the contents to a suitable level when you wish to view them. The tabs will sit at the top of your screen.

Alternatively, you can open a few tabs with the programmes you select in them at max level, and open them as you need to see them.

This is all dependent on whether your OS will allow these functions.

Ron.

It's not about netbook basing, IMO there is no satisfactory answer to your question.

It's a question of the right tool for the right job.

You wouldn't tow a horsebox around with a Reliant Robin, but for what it is designed for a Robin is fine.

Struggling with the "porthole" view will never be a satisfying experience.

Just an opinion, please feel free to ignore it :rolleyes:

Thanks Ron - doesn't work on basic Win7 though!

Desktop360 seems more prone with problems then ir resolves!

Any other ideas please?

Short of running Linux ....

Install the software on another PC and remote desktop it from the netbook. This will put the window in a scrollable windows.

Great idea, thank you, but it only increases scrolling side to side. I need up and down!

The free one is horizontal, the pay for version seems to allow both dimensions...

GiMeSpace Desktop Extender Edition - GiMeSpace

but costs $18.95 by the looks of it. There is also a windows 7 version that is fancier but a few $ more.

I must admit I have never used it, or heard of it before reading this thread, I just read the website.

Short of running Linux ....

Actually that might not be a bad idea. You can get an ubuntu live install on a usb stick, then just boot up from the usb stick when you want to run this software, any other time remove the stick and it boots up in to windows as normal.

Actually that might not be a bad idea. You can get an ubuntu live install on a usb stick, then just boot up from the usb stick when you want to run this software, any other time remove the stick and it boots up in to windows as normal.

It's actually a really bad idea as the OPs software isn't built for Linux :rolleyes:

Archived