NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It's arrived....One small step

paulhutch

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.......and now it's raining. Has anyone bought a new scope and been able to use it on the same day as setting it up? Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

You must be kidding!

I think that the Indian summer sent a few of us mad and there's been a lot of new scope ordering going on by the looks of it. My new scope arrives on Wednesday so expect the weather to get really bad then for at least a month...

:rolleyes:

What I would say is that it is really worth getting to know your scope indoors and in the light during this bad weather. Don't waste a clear night messing about doing things you could have done inside (I speak from experience) so make sure you check the collimation, correctly align the finder etc., etc. Oh and read the manual a couple of times from cover to cover.

Then get Stellarium of one of the other packages and plan your viewing so that when the clouds go you can get cracking... The observing guides in Sky at Night magazine are also good IMHO.

Great scope, hope you get a chance to enjoy it soon!

Seems there has been a high number of new scopes the past week (including me). Do multiple new scope cloud effects run in parallel or serial? We could be in for a long wait...

Congratulations on the scope :-)

I'm made up....We had half an hour of clear skies. No newbie scope curse for me....On the other hand I've got to be in work in 3 hours. Oops!! :rolleyes:

My first time in work with no sleep but I feel fresh. Must be the feeling newbies get when looking through a decent scope for the first time. I don't think I'll ever forget last night even though I only had 30 minutes. I can't wait for my all night sessions to come.;):D:D

Oh gosh, thanks soo much for posting the piccy. It's smashing. You had fantastic luck with the weather. I set my scope up late last night, hoping the growing gaps in the cloud would enable me to see at least a glimpse for even just a short moment or two, but (I'm Trying Not To Swear) it was not to be, it all got rather claggy very quickly. Well done you!! although I'm jelous as sin :-))

Yendor I'll be totally honest, I got around 24 minutes last night when a small break in the clouds flew past. The reason I'm made up is the photo was taken Afocal (Cheap camera just held up to the lens) from inside the house with the scope pointing out of an open door. So I know it can do perform much better and I'm really looking forward to using it, unfortunately it's once again cloudy tonight.

Archived