Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focusing a SCT

Greetings and apologies if this subject has been aired in the past. The SCT has a very wide focusing range and old gits like me become easily confused when changing from visual to camera, or using the focal reducer. Each of these changes requires several rotations of the focus knob. When changing back, I have no idea where I am. Are there any solutions other than a brain transplant for me?

Brian.

I've not seen a solution to this Brian. Some Sct's have a dual speed focuser attached with a graduated scale like refractors and drawtube so you can note the focus positions. But Sct's normally just have the focus knob. I guess you can set a reference position and count turns from there.

For the cameras it's best to focus using a bahtinov mask. You can also get software controlled motor focusers that may (or not) have set points in the software - but failing that I think we are stuck with the usual focusing knob :)

A vegemite lid (drilled with a 1.25" hole for the rubberised Celestron knobs) can be "graduated" along the rim and used to find and repeat focus.

Cheaper than the ScopeStuff version from the US.

*EDIT* Image attached

post-15261-133877675414_thumb.jpg

This is a problem - wish there was a better way....I tend to fudge my way into focus rather than any technique :)

I am usually ok with switching between reducer and the DSLR and normal....but using the DFK is a real pain as FOV is so small...and much swearing can be heard when trying to use this...:)

I've just added (like many before me...) the S/W electronic focuser motor to the C11.

An aluminium bracket from the "spare" finder screws on the OTA holds the motor. I just used the knurled knob that comes with it for the ED80 as a pinion....a small length of felted draught excluder superglued as the drive belt onto the existing rubber focuser knob....majic!

Now I can control the focus from the desk using the Shoestring adaptor FCUSB

The Shoestring Astronomy Store - Focus Motor Control Products

Here's another motor focus option if you fit the feather touch micro focusser. I use a bahtinov mask to focus. What I then did was note the number of full turns of the corse focusser from my camera setup to various visual setups (eg with/without barlows) and keep a record in my notes. That way I can easily get into rough focus prior to a fine focus with the mask.

Archived