NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tal 3x barlow

EssexMigrant

I have a 3x Tal barlow, and can find no mention of my particular model anywhere, they are all different to mine. Mine is similar in design to the ones I have seen, but rather than being straight sided, it has an additional heavy band at the top, which the locking screw goes into. It's the type of holding with a split band inside, so that the eyepiece isn't damaged. What I want to know is, is this optically any different from the latest (?) ones? I'm guessing that mine is older. I should also say that it weighs a ton!!

Cheers

Max

well Max, it doesn`t look much like mine, here`s a link to the one i have, it`s the one on the left, haven`t seen one like yours before, maybe it`s a newer model ?

First Light Optics - Tal 2x and 3x Barlows

Hi Red,

Yes, your link shows the ones that I'd found. Mine came with one of my Tal scopes, but I can't remember which one at the moment. I think it likely that mine is older rather than newer, but that's just a guess as all my Tal stuff I bought secondhand.

I appreciate your input anyway

Cheers

Max

Hi Red

Cheers! Maybe Andy will be along; he'll know for sure. This is one of those occasions where the 'lost' social group would be really useful. I'm keen to know how this model stacks up optically against the (fairly surely) later one.

Come on Andy - where are you!

Max

i think you can buy a new Tal 3x for less than £40 pounds and you could sell yours if your not sure about it, on thing i will say about my Tal is that the lens optics a fairly small compaired to other barlows i have in my collection, if that any help to you ?

Hi.

Yup, it's an older type, around the turn into the 2000's.

Many scopes, including my 2M had focusers with compression rings. The 4x barlow that came with mine had this feature too. From memory the weight is in the nosepiece which may be solid steel or brass.

Later optical stuff(lenses and mirrors) from Tal have improved coatings. I remember reading on the NPZ factory website about the subject of coating changes.

Andy.

My 3x Tal Barlow must be even older. It had the tapered lower portion, the parallel fitting part was oversize for 1.25" fit and the eyepiece was retained by just a sprung split sleeve. I ended up chopping it in half and grafted on a standard Barlow body. The performance seems good.

Hi Andy, Red and Pete,

Well it appears we're sorted! From what you're saying Andy, it would appear the later ones may be better? (p.s. I've sent you a PM) To answer Red, no I haven't used it at all yet; I'd forgotten I had it until I found it in a clear-out yesterday!

Thanks for all your input

Max

Do what I did and get rid of that high polish on the end. I glued a matt black cardboard disc with a central hole over it to avoid internal reflections.

It's strange to think that TAL didn't think to make the front end of the Barlow matt black.

Do what I did and get rid of that high polish on the end. I glued a matt black cardboard disc with a central hole over it to avoid internal reflections.

It's strange to think that TAL didn't think to make the front end of the Barlow matt black.

That sounds like a VERY good idea Merlin!

Cheers

Max

Archived