Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory - Lighting

Freff

OK I have now run electrics into the obsy. I'm sorted as far as the mains 13amp outlets are concerned.

I have strategically placed 3 double outlets for the computer, chargers etc., and of course the obligatory kettle.

Its the lighting I could do with some ideas for. Not the technical side of the installation, but what folks are using.

I have thought of using a 12v system and utilising car lamps and such like.

Or maybe a conventional 240v layout with red bulbs.

Any ideas on what to use and suppliers would be great help.

Many thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of using mains lights in mine but not looked into it yet. I'm going to use a PIR bulkhead light (waterproof) on the outside with a low wattage bulb in it. Inside I'm thinking of a red light and a white light, separately switched. One possibility, particularly for the red light is LEDs - very efficient and readily available in red. One LED plus resistor run off 12v should suffice for the red light. I may go for that. I'll be thinking more about lighting when it gets nearer the time.

I have mains powered lighting in my obs/warm room.

Two separately switched waterproof bulkhead light's for white light using 11w energy saving bulbs.(1 in obs/1 in warm room)

And two DIMMABLE separately switched waterproof red lense bulkhead lights with 8W dimmable energy bulbs. (1 in obs/1 in warm room)

Wayne

post-18037-133877674008_thumb.jpg

I've used four LED striplights, seen here in the testing phase.

I have two in the observatory and two in the warm room. The light tends to be more orange than a deep red, and I'm still considering going down the same road as Wayne with dimmable energy saving bulbs

White light is via 40w bulb in a bulk head light

post-23388-133877674069_thumb.jpg

I have mains powered lighting in my obs/warm room.

Two separately switched waterproof bulkhead light's for white light using 11w energy saving bulbs.(1 in obs/1 in warm room)

And two DIMMABLE separately switched waterproof red lense bulkhead lights with 8W dimmable energy bulbs. (1 in obs/1 in warm room)

Wayne

Many thanks for the replies, some great ideas.

Wayne.. I like the idea of a dimmer bulkhead lights, but have never seen them with red lenses.

The red light you have looks like the type of lamp I used on the back of my old Land Rovers. :)

I've got four banks of LEDS (battery powered) on each wall. They're okay for night time / observing use as the don't throw out that much light. I need to install a couple of bulkhead lights because they are so dim (there are no windows in my obsy).

Here is the link I got them from:

100w ES Weatherproof Bulkhead Light RED - IP65

Wayne

Thanks Wayne they are just the job, and cheap to.

I think I'm steering towards a mix of red and white bulkhead lights.

The white for daytime use (like laser_jock99 no window in obsy) and maintenance.

The jury is still out on using LED's.

Yes, they're certainly cheap :) But if the quality is alright... great :)

True Gina, but I'm sure Wayne would have said if they are below par.

I'll check out my local electrical trade counter on Monday and see what they have now I know what I'm looking for.

Yes indeed :)
I'll check out my local electrical trade counter on Monday and see what they have now I know what I'm looking for.
Good idea :) I've bought several bulkhead lights in the past and that's the cheapest I've seen so far for waterproof ones.

Why spend a fortune on lights for a obs/warm room??

Nothing wrong with the quality of these lights.

They are IP65 rated:

6:Totally protected against dust ingress.

5:Protected against low pressure water jets from any direction.

Even though they are waterproof rated,they are in my DRY obs/warm room.

Wayne

Why spend a fortune on lights for a obs/warm room??

Nothing wrong with the quality of these lights.

They are IP65 rated:

6:Totally protected against dust ingress.

5:Protected against low pressure water jets from any direction.

Even though they are waterproof rated,they are in my DRY obs/warm room.

Wayne

I agree.

If I can't get these or similar locally I'll send off for them. If I can save a bit on postage I will, it all goes towards my new CCD. :)

I agree.

If I can save a bit on postage I will, it all goes towards my new CCD. :)

My thought exactly, Tony :)

Why spend a fortune on your obs/warmroom build.

As long as build structue is sound.Every timber part is wood preserved.

Roof is waterproof and guaranteed to last a while.

Damp kept to a minimum.

Then any saved cash can go towards upgrading your setup.......

Wayne

I managed to get two of the lamps Wayne recommended from the TLC depot in Cardiff. My wife works in Cardiff so I managed to save a few pounds on postage.

The lamps are bigger than I expected, and appears good quality. The lens is quite thick and fits snugly on a sturdy aluminium base which gets a good grip on the heavy duty stainless lens screws.

The lamp holder is an ES fitting which is what I wanted so I can dim a normal bulb.

So for £12.96 for two I'm very pleased. Many thanks Wayne.:rolleyes:

post-19789-133877675475_thumb.jpg

So for £12.96 for two I'm very pleased. Many thanks Wayne.:rolleyes:

Glad to help out, Tony ;)

I have no idea what the commercial application would be for these red bulkhead lights......

Emergency lighting maybe??

Wayne

Glad to help out, Tony ;)

I have no idea what the commercial application would be for these red bulkhead lights......

Emergency lighting maybe??

Wayne

I went to my local Edmondson Electrical store in Newport and they ARE big. They had no idea what I was referring to. They scanned their catalogue for something similar to no avail.

They suggest something from B&Q and put a red bulb in it. DUH!!:rolleyes:

Wont use them again.

At TLC they suggested they would be for emergency lighting.

I went to my local Edmondson Electrical store in Newport and they ARE big. They had no idea what I was referring to. They scanned their catalogue for something similar to no avail.

They suggest something from B&Q and put a red bulb in it. DUH!!:rolleyes:

Wont use them again.

At TLC they suggested they would be for emergency lighting.

I bet it will not be long before Filament bulbs get phased out completely.

60 watt have gone already.

I bet you will not be able to get red glass filament bulbs in the future.......:o

Only red LED low energy bulbs.Which seem to be a replacement only for down lighted halogen bulbs ;)

That's why I went for a red cover's rather than red bulb's...

Wayne

I agree.

I don't think red bulbs give as good as a red lens anyway.

I have a large stock of assorted bulbs just for when they are phased out, especially 100w.

I will probably use 40w on a dimmer switch. Unfortunately the low energy type are not 'dimmerable' unless you get a very special expensive one.

Those bulkhead lights look very good :rolleyes:

The phasing out of GLS light bulbs annoys me! ;) They have been replaced with bulbs filled with a poisonous gas and aren't supposed to be disposed of in the household rubbish. The old argon filled filament bulbs were fine in the ordinary rubbish. Progress??? PAH!! The new little fluorescent bulbs have improved somewhat since they were first introduced but all the above still applies!

You can get halogen bulbs as an alternative, they are less efficient but are dimmable.

I too have stocked up with 100w and 60w GLS bulbs. Some PIR outside lights we have actually require GLS bulbs. They say they will fail with fluorescent bulbs. Fortunately, more recent PIR lights WILL work with them.

I agree.

I will probably use 40w on a dimmer switch. Unfortunately the low energy type are not 'dimmerable' unless you get a very special expensive one.

Got my 8W=40W Dimmable energy saver bulbs from ASDA (Whilst doing the weekly shop) :rolleyes::eek:;)

Cheap as chips:D

Wayne

Archived