SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

8 inch dobsonian, minimum quality e/p's ?

with a "f 6" (i think). would the e/p's on an 8 inch skywatcher need to be of a certain standard ? how high a standard ?

would say meade 4000 plossl's be good or need the 5000 series ?

thanks.

Any good average price plossl should do just fine. The improvements to most expensive plossls are usually only detected by experienced astronomers.

It's usually when you go to wide field designs that you need to spend more money. Wide field sharpness is harder to produce and it costs premium money to get those wide sharp images to the edge of the field.

I don't think there is really a minimum standard at F/6 (although I'd probably not use the Kelner or MA designs if I could help it). Your current plossls will work fine (better than the standard eyepieces that come with the scope) and you can then decide at leisure whether the performance gains that higher priced eyepieces can being are worth the investment to you.

I got by very well for years with Meade 3000 Plossls with an 9" f/6 Dob.

Eyepieces with apparent fields wider than a Plossl are more likely to display optical issues. It costs more to make those designs well. You can get very nice images with Plossls at f/6.

In my opinion, it's possible to be get too concerned with minor problems with the view.

For about the same price as a decent plossl you have the TMB Planetary EPs to consider.

Though I never used one, I read several reviews where they come out almost as good as a nagler. They make much better planetary EPs with the wider fov and a better eye relief and for the price it's not much of a risk to try one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-6mm-58-Degree-TMB-Planetary-II-eyepiece-/380366051086?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item588f95570e#ht_3330wt_1255

The BST's are good, 60 deg field of view, reasonable selection of focal lengths.

Just remember that the eye cup screws up and down so set it to whatever is preferable/best for you, otherwise your eye is at the wrong place.

Archived