Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywarcher synguider feedback?

Nerro

Hi,

Maybe anyone has one of these?would really like to hear how it performs , user friendliness etc.as it is one of the cheapest stand alone guiders and don't know if the price reflects its performance?

And I will be using it with neq6 pro mount with skywatcher st80 ota.

Like I said any feedback is welcome and thanks in advance.

I don't have one myself. However if you are thinking of getting one, the word is that there is a new version coming out within the next few weeks which has some new and improved features such as the screen being located on the key pad, which makes it easier to see. I am also told they may be slightly more expensive than the old ones.

About time to if it's true ... I doubt if you will be able to give the old ones away...

Did you see the review thread .. I bought one of the first ones into the UK...

http://stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-reviews/104533-skywatcher-synguider-review-parts.html

Peter...

I am reading this at the moment.Fair play to you for making this review.Well from what i read there weren't any major issues with NEQ6 mounts, but now i am in to minds should i wait or not for a newer version.It would be nice to have the screen on the key pad.

Anyway thanks for the input guys.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Synguider and so far I like it.

1) Find out, do you need a diagonal (yes you do)

2) Get comfortable adjusting your guide scope inside the guide scope rings.

In most cases, your target will not have a bright start suitable for guiding so your GS needs to point at something else. Practice this.

Tip: Why waste good clear sky for the practice when you can do this in relatively poor conditions. :)

Point your OTA at a star A and learn how to adjust your guide scope rings and the screws, while looking through a EP, so the star B (not too far away from the A) is in the centre of your guidescope EP. You will need to know how to do this. Start out with a longer EP if needed.

Read the manual and do few practice runs when the sky is not perfect.

One more tip. When I stared to use my Synguider, I made a line on the focuser tube with a fine tip marker pen. It really helps as a starting point to get the focus right.

Personally, like a lot of people... I couldn't get on with the thing and sent it back.

I wasted three good clear nights trying to get it to work and failed.

The trouble is the lack of information it gives you... if its working, great... if it isn't, trying to find out why is like blood out of a stone.

I ditched it and bought a SX Lodestar and haven't looked back. takes me 45 mins to set my mount and scope up and 5 minutes to get it guiding now.... and you can see exactly what its doing and adjust everything.

I know others have got on great with the Synguider... but I didn't :-)

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I have just bought one for use on a 2x barlowed 50mm finder. First impressions are that it doesn't see much (4th mag stars maybe?), but one you get a star it is easy to lock and guide. However - the images I have been getting are rubbish - far worse than no guiding (this is on an HEQ5). Its early days, so maybe I can tweak a few things yet ...

NigelM

I wasted far too many nights trying to get the synguider working as a finderguider and in the end decided it wasn't going to cut the mustard. I will br interested to see what results you achieve as i would love to have a standalone finderguider solution for my mobile setup.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I had one but sold it, some nights i could get it to work others i couldnt and as was mentioned previously i had no i idea why it wasnt working? I decided that i didnt want to waste most of the night playing with it to get it to work, so decided to sell it. i use an st-80 and qhy5 and find it much easier to set up and use.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived