Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue- over-rated??

Donkeiller

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In that case I'd like to nominate as the next topic.... Why astro observing; hasn't it all been done before?

:):D

Excellent, this is really going well ! In the old days it would have been "Which is better... Celestron or Meade?" but that looks a tad dated now. :)

Each to their own preference.:)

Quite agree.

And, in all seriousness (and to get slightly back on topic :happy1:), I do have a couple of Televues and I love them, the feel of quality, the sharp images and the wide views. And yes, I know I'm probably not seeing the full potential over other eyepieces in the scope I currently have, but to me, these are investment pieces, that will last me through many scopes of many types over many years. But definitely, each to their own, as long as you're enjoying what you're viewing, that's all that's important :)

Quite agree.

And, in all seriousness (and to get slightly back on topic :happy1:), I do have a couple of Televues and I love them, the feel of quality, the sharp images and the wide views. And yes, I know I'm probably not seeing the full potential over other eyepieces in the scope I currently have, but to me, these are investment pieces, that will last me through many scopes of many types over many years. But definitely, each to their own, as long as you're enjoying what you're viewing, that's all that's important :)

Just what i thought and i dont even own any televue eyepieces!:)

Not bad, but it needs an astronomical theme.

How about: One man's scatter graph of stars showing the relationship between the stars' absolute magnitudes or luminosities versus their spectral types or classifications and effective temperatures is another mans absorption and scattering of electromagnetic radiation by matter (dust and gas) between an emitting astronomical object and the observer.

How about: One man's scatter graph of stars showing the relationship between the stars' absolute magnitudes or luminosities versus their spectral types or classifications and effective temperatures is another mans absorption and scattering of electromagnetic radiation by matter (dust and gas) between an emitting astronomical object and the observer.
Damn! You took the words right out of my mouth!!:rolleyes::D

Too controversial.

OK, I'll be drawn in. My advice: buy new, more expensive EPs only when you start noticing the limits of the old.

My old 36mm Vixen Plossl was a nice EP in terms of sharpness, but a pain to use with it's HUGE eye relief. I got a 2" visual back on my C8 to fit my flip mirror, and then decided to ditch the old Plossl for a 40mm TMB Paragon. The difference, even in an F/10 scope was big. Of course, some 25 years of observing experience in the mind behind the eye of the beholder helped ;). The main difference is FOV, but the contrast, ease of use (not to be sneezed at) and level of detail was just better. Internal reflections were zero in the Paragon, and occasionally a pain in the old plossl.

Somewhat later I got myself a Meade 14mm UWA, to stop a gap in my range. That provided such a wide FOV I was hooked. It had almost the same true FOV as the 26 mm Plossl, so that got used less and less. Enter my first TV; the Nagler 22mm T4, to replace the 26mm Celestron Plossl that came with the scope (made by Vixen, as I recall). The 26mm was a good EP, but on-axis the 22mm showed more detail and contrast. The FOV was just incomparable.

I then got an 8mm Radian, and compared it to the 7 and 9 mm Vixen LV EPs (which were already a step up from Plossls). The difference here was smaller on axis, but off axis the differences were significant, as discussed here. I sold my LVs and got another TV Radian (the 10mm).

The last TV EP I got was a 17mm Nagler T4. I got this because I so love the 22mm, and it was on offer second hand on SGL (hen's teeth are more common :o). I have used it a lot in DSO observing, and find that getting just the right magnification helps me a lot.

So why did I buy these expensive EPs for a slow scope like my C8? Because I notice the difference, and they also work neatly in my 80mm F/6. I may well get a Dob in future, so they are future proof.

Did I become a better observer by using TV or other premium EPs? No, of course not. In fact it is the reverse: Because I have become a very good observer through 32 years of experience, I benefit from the additional quality.

Are TVs worth the money? That is up to the individual to decide. I do want a 30mm ultra wide angle EP, but the 31mm Nagler is so much more expensive that I am seriously considering the Explore Scientific 30mm. Much as I like TV, I am not married to them :mad:.

Will I buy more TV EPs? Quite likely: I want to replace my 14mm Meade UWA by a 12mm Nagler T4, only because the eye relief of the Meade is a tad short, and not because I want all my EPs to have green letters on them :rolleyes:. The TMB Paragon isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Thats sensible advice Michael :o

Often it's using a nice eyepiece at a star party or society meeting that prompts the desire for "better" things ;)

Otherwise it's hard to know what you are not getting from your current kit, if you see what I mean :rolleyes:

Thats sensible advice Michael :o

Often it's using a nice eyepiece at a star party or society meeting that prompts the desire for "better" things ;)

Otherwise it's hard to know what you are not getting from your current kit, if you see what I mean :rolleyes:

True, but things like poorer eye relief, internal reflections, critical eye positioning, and degradation of the image from centre to edge can be judged. Whether things get better with better EPs is another matter entirely :mad:. Testing stuff in your own scope is ideal, but a star party is a good replacement.

A colleague of mine has bought all my old EPs to date. Every time the deal is, take my EP along,, and if you think it is an improvement in the 4" F/9 refractor he has, we discuss a price. To date, he always noticed the difference easily.

My 6mm TV Radian is the MUTS NUTS! Awesome high mag EP with nice wide glass lens not to mention wide FOV for the mag. Brilliant for viewing planets, splitting doubles and lunar observing blows me away every time.

....and breathe

lol

Matt

My 6mm TV Radian is the MUTS NUTS! Awesome high mag EP with nice wide glass lens not to mention wide FOV for the mag. Brilliant for viewing planets, splitting doubles and lunar observing blows me away every time.

....and breathe

lol

Matt

Yep, agree 100% with you, best high mag ep i have used to date. I replaced an excellent 6mm Baader ortho with one of these and have not regretted it for one minute.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting how so many have been praising the virtues of Naglers, Panotopics etc. when the initial subject was a TV Plossl.

I'm sure the Naglers etc. are excellent. So they should be at the price.

Would I buy a Naglers or Panotopic?

No. Far too expensive.

Would I buy another Televue Plossl?

No. No discernable (to me) improvement.

Some of us out in the real World have limited budgets.

Cost/benefit analysis dictates our purchases.

Don I find it interesting that you seem to want to stir this same pot here, on CN, and Astronomy Forums (even perhaps other sites for all I know). People have repeatedly told you that you likely would not see any difference between a TV plossl and your Celestron plossl in scopes faster than about f/6. Yet for whatever reason, you choose to ignore that simple fact, and continue to beat this dead horse in order to invoke a reaction. Had you done even the slightest bit of pre-purchase research, you would have learned that the TV plossl wouldn't miraculously outperform your Celestron one in the scope you have. Somehow, I doubt that you will dissuade the thousands of astronomers that use and love their Televue EPs with your feeble attempts to besmirch the entire brand.

The reason so many are talking about other EPs in the Televue line is because you didn't title your OP correctly. You should have stated Televue Plossl in the subject line. Doing it as you did, gives the appearance you are criticizing all of Televue's EPs. But then again, that would go along with the general vein of your multiple postings across various sites.

Whoa, this is SGL, not Cloudy Nights. Vive la difference. We're not talking about the situation in Lybia, here, just eyepieces.

I tried a TV Plossl when one came up second hand. It's a gnat's crotchet better than a Meade of the same FL.

I have just walked away from looking through a 13 Ethos and TEC140, alas the Ethos not being mine. All I can say is that I wish it were!

Olly

Sorry, but when someone starts the exact same thread on at least three different sites, and continually ignores good advice from a lot of people, it is obvious he has some sort of agenda. Primarily, he comes across as someone just wanting to spin people up for his own enjoyment. It would have been proper to entitle the thread "Televue Plossls - over-rated?" rather than "Televue - over-rated?". There is a big difference between questioning the quality of one single model from a company versus ostensibly calling into question their entire product line. Which, apparently based on some responses at all three sites, some felt he was doing. Anyway, I apologize if some feel I over-stepped, but things like that sort of rub me the wrong way. By the way, the threads at both CN and Astronomy Forums were finally locked down.

Archived