Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue- over-rated??

Donkeiller

The Televue eyepieces I have are excellent - but so are some of my others.

No, the only thing wrong with Televue eyepieces is the fanboyism which surrounds them.

My point exactly.

Nothing wrong with the product except the price and the hype.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i'm sure nobody would complain if Televue dropped the price to £50 per EP regardless of design.....

But only if they could keep up the quality and continue to invest in R&D for newer designs.

If anyone wants to make a protest and send me their TV's I'll offer to collect them all and write to Al

I agree with the hype being exaggerated but that just seams to be human nature and not a problem with the product.

Take computers, for instance, Apple haves a huge amount of fanboys and an enormous hype. I do own my 1st mac and I'm enjoying it. It haves some visible improvements over some HP workstations I own before, specially on the hardware front. Any Apple fanboy will boast OSX is so much easier/better then windows but, although I think it haves a slight edge, windows haves some functionality I prefer.

I really don't see what the problem is or why you appear to be getting so hot under the collar about this.

In virtually every leisure activity I can think of there will be equipment at completely different ends of the budget, the certainly is in photography, angling and cycling to name but 3.

I own a 31mm Nagler and I've also owned a 32mm Panaview and enjoyed them both. The Nagler is not 6x better than the Panaview of course but, like Shane and many others, as my budget allowed, I felt that the modest improvements were worth spending some of my hard earned money on.

When premium equipment is discussed here it's usually pointed out that the performance gains as cost increases get progressively less so anyone contemplating making a large investment should be aware that it's not going to revolutionise the hobby for them.

If anything I think what's showing in one or two posts in this thread is a kind of inverse snobbery :)

I wasn't getting 'hot under the collar', I'm just surprised at the price compared to other eyepieces.

As I said I don't doubt Televue eps are absolutely top notch.

Many people, you included clearly benefit from TVs high quality and performance. So I don't think that you or many others are 'snobs'.

I just wonder how many jumped on the TV 'bandwagon' and bought these eyepieces just for 'the name' or to keep up with the Jones' so to speak.

I apologise if I came across as hot under the collar.

I know what you mean Mak. Its not that I make a habit of casually dropping my Hyperions but theres always a bit of nervous tension in the air when I pick up or put down my Ethos!

I own 3 of what I regard "premium" eyepieces, a (secondhand) 13mm Ethos and 9mm and 20mm ES100s. They all cost a fair bit of money but when I look what some of my friends spend on motorbikes it doesn't seem that bad!

IMHO, new, the Ethos isn't much of an improvement over the Explore Scientific eyepieces but if people don't mind paying for that small improvement then good luck to them. Premium kit in most areas tends to be small improvements for big bucks.

its all up to the buyer on anything in the end, 10 years ago I got some funny comments from the guys at work when I paid almost £4000 for my plasma but I am a massive Home Cinema fan so to me it was not important what it cost, more essential what was what it showed me! :)

At least when it finally gives up I won't need to spend that much on a replacement. :)

I wasn't getting 'hot under the collar', I'm just surprised at the price compared to other eyepieces.

As I said I don't doubt Televue eps are absolutely top notch.

Many people, you included clearly benefit from TVs high quality and performance. So I don't think that you or many others are 'snobs'.

I just wonder how many jumped on the TV 'bandwagon' and bought these eyepieces just for 'the name' or to keep up with the Jones' so to speak.

I apologise if I came across as hot under the collar.

No problems - sorry if I misconstrued your post :)

An earlier post in this thread reminded us that it's using the stuff we have to enjoy the universe that matters, not the logos that are printed on it. Good sentiment I reckon :)

I find it incredible that the odd thread can provide so many passionate views, shame we all can't just forget about the equipment etc and enjoy the beauty and majesty of the Cosmos....the reason I bought a telescope in the first place and something I am not going to forget.

Well said Alan.

My Wife bought a Mercedes a few years ago, it's something she always wanted and it was her money......she still has it and loves every minute of owning it, I guess that's how TeleVue owners feel. A GSO will get you most of the way but why not go the whole hog in style.

The only non Televue eyepiece which I've ever regretted selling was a University Optics MK80 32mm, which in many respects was the equal or better than the 31mm Nagler in a slower scope. But then who's ever heard of University Optics? Brand snobbery does count I'm afraid - I sold the MK80 for a ridiculously low price for its performance, whereas TV's always hold a decent used price. Bit like cars really.

On the other hand, I've ALWAYS missed the Televue's I've sold over the years, so that must say something I guess.

This thread is running there too...
Thanks for the tip - UK TV was getting a bit boring. LOL. But our (rank and file) American astro-cousins acquitted themselves rather well - Despite the familiar early playing of the "disrespect" card by the Waltonesque (would be) moderators. :happy1:

Some folks (both there and HERE!) do know some "serious stuff" about eyepieces. The encouraging thing is that, despite random repetition of anecdote, true QUALITY usually triumphs. Many mid-range (within my budget!) eyepieces have come to be viewed favourably by astronomers... :)

Heck, even whole scope TYPES (Maksutovs?), are given a fairer representation too... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus 6 viewpost.gif

I find it incredible that the odd thread can provide so many passionate views, shame we all can't just forget about the equipment etc and enjoy the beauty and majesty of the Cosmos....the reason I bought a telescope in the first place and something I am not going to forget.

We all know this is true really (I hope!), we're just having a giggle!!:):)

We all know this is true really (I hope!), we're just having a giggle!!:happy1::)

And we have to have something to discuss when it's cloudy, don't we :D

Next month: Are ED doublets really apochromats ? :)

(runs for cover !)

And we have to have something to discuss when it's cloudy, don't we :)

Next month: Are ED doublets really apochromats ? :)

(runs for cover !)

Then we could have: Why astro imaging; hasn't it all been done before?

Archived