Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

smaller compact telescopes

in addition to my post last night i would love to hear your choices of scope as my eq 150mm reflector now takes up too much space so would like a more compact scope , here are my requirements , hope you can help

1.budget of 300-500 pounds

2.compact

3.must not use a eq mount

4.as large an aperature as possible

i know im gonna wind you all up how fussy i am , but hey its my money.hehe

hope you all can help

amy

xxx

Hi Amy - if your reflector is taking up too much space, it sounds like a short focal length refractor is going to be best. However, while it will be good for clusters and dsos, it won't be that good for planets due to colour fringing and lack of magnification. You could look at something like this:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Startravel 120 (AZ3)

If you need a smaller version of this, there is the ST102. It will definitely be a compact, easy to store tube.

I use the ST120 and it's very good for clusters and dsos.

All the best. Ed

Hi - agreed the Mak would be great for planets; it's difficult to find a scope that does both things - deep sky and planetary. In fact, I don't think there is one!

The combination of a wide field refractor, and a Mak is nice - gives both options, but of course raises the question of cost and storage space.

Ed

id go for either one of the celestron SE range (4 or 6) or the SLT range (102 or 120) or the cheaper skywatcher startravel (102 or 120)

a mak is more compact but its not very good for DSO's unless you have a reducer as it has a very slow F ratio

Hi amy it all depends on what aperture you can live with , you could get a small ed refractor of 80-102mm with a budget of 300/500 in the secondhand Market , nice wide views takes magnification for planets and with focal lengths of 480-600mm nice and compact and put on a az4 mount easy portable . Regards dobbie

Archived