Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice for beginner? re: binoculars/spotting scope

Just started to get an interest in Astronomy and ive been doing alot of reading and started taking time to look at the stars at night when time allows!

I was thinking of buying a telescope (ive been looking at newtonian reflectors) but after reading various webpages alot of them suggest a pair of binoculars to begin with to learn my way around the stars.

I've been looking at budget 10x50 binoculars but also noticed some spotting scopes which have larger front lenses which would gather more light and some have greater zoom aswell.

Are these scopes any good? or would i be best starting with the 10x50 bino's?

Thanks

Hi

Binoculars have the edge over scopes in the following ways:

1. With bins you are using both eyes so will be using your natural stereo vision when observing.

2. Using bins increases the definition of objects by up to 40% compared to scopes.

3. Bins show objects the 'right way up' so it is easier to familarise yourself with star maps.

4. Bins in the 7x50 and 10x50 size range are always ready for use and don't need setting up as would be required in most scopes. Larger bins (12x mag or greater and with 70mm objective lenses or larger) would need a tripod for astronomy use as the higher mags would show as increased hand shake and neck fatigue.

There are some spotting scopes that can be used for occasional astronomy use but these are primarily for nature and wildlife so would be something of a compromise.

HTH!

I think this is one of those areas where people a very split. I really cannot stand using bins and much prefer a scope.

any bins will benefit from support and the larger ones need to cool before proper use.

with scopes you can vary the magnification and track objects easily.

you can gather a lot more light and see fainter objects.

I at least am much more comfortable when using a scope

scopes are easier to hand over to someone else to see the object.

obviously the downside of scopes are the costs and also the size of them.

ultimately if you want a quick view and only a glimpse of what most objects look like then bins are fine. if you want planetary detail or close views of smaller objects then a scope is the only thing that will deliver this.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Only the half decent spotter scopes would have any use but their cost would actually be more than say a good size dobsonian scope - so it would be cheaper just to get the scope. Binos can be a cheap way of learning the sky and in general will offer you more of a view than what you can see with just the naked eye. I say can be, because you can buy a cheap lidl pair of 10x50 for £14.00 or you could pay £100's with nitrogen purged optics.

In any case, price is relative to what you get in exchange for it and I would suggest contacting your local astro club or observing group to participate in one of their observation evenings so as to get your eye in on some of the scopes. You then will be in a position to at least be able to measure how good some of the views can be, and then compare it with the cost to see if it is something you could entertain. All the specifications and numbers don't really mean anything unless you've established a starting point from which to measure against. I would take your time and do a little bit of 'practical' research to see how the different optics work in order to work out your starting point.

Clear skies

James

Thanks for the replies and welcomes! much appreciated.

Just looked up my local astronomy club and it's not too far from me surprisingly! i do usually work nights but im sure i could arrange an early shift to attend sometime.

As for the binoculars/spotting scope, i think im going to stick with binoculars to begin with and if i enjoy it enough i'll eventually get a proper telescope.

As for binoculars, im not looking to spend a fortune if im honest, but at the same time i dont want to end up with a pile of junk!

I was intially looking at these in Argos

Buy Bird Watcher Binoculars 10 x 50mm at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Binoculars.

Priced at £39.99 (but theres an identical model on ebay for £16)

I assume these will be the Lidl type, cheap and cheerful!

Am i letting myself in for disapointment with these? or will they suffice for some star hopping and general observation?

I'm trying to resist the urge to buy the Sky Watcher Heritage 76 mini dobsonian scope aswell...it's too temptingly priced! and i reckon i need to get some more knowledge under my belt or end up with a telescope that just frustrates me!

Thanks again

Attending a couple of observation nights will provide plenty of experience and knowledge to help you in your considerations. I will confess to owning six pairs of the Lidl type (shame on me!) and I reckon they're ok, not brilliant but I don't have to worry if anyone drops them on the floor during an outreach meeting! When I have bought them I will admit to taking them out of their box and checking them over and looking through to make sure they are ok - the odd one will be rubbish. At their price, its almost a free experiment given what you could pay for binos and at least you will see if your interest is sufficiently awakened to justify invest in any more kit.

James

Binos are nice when you're traveling and can't get a scope with you, they are a nice tool to learn the sky and that's about it.

I'm one of those in the hobby that thinks binos are just an aid and don't provide enough detail to get anyone hooked. Even a scope may disappoint as many new comers expect hubble like pictures. So my oppinion is you should go for the scope.

PS-> the mini dobsodian is pretty much a kids scope that won't show much, it will be little improvement over binos. I would start with either a 90mm+ refractor or a 6"+ newtonian. 6" is a decent aperture to start and will allow you to see all the Messier's. It will also provide good views on planets with a good magnification. (On binos planets are just dots, except for jupiter that may look like a tiny disk or a fat dot... not the kind of thing that makes you "Wow!")

A book you could look at is Philip's Stargazing With Binoculars by Robin Scagell. This is a very good intro to binocular observing and gives lots of useful advice including the binocular sky, an overview of binocular types and observing tips for bino users. Costs about £7-8 new and has been out for a few years now so you could probably find it on Amazon for less.

Bins are often your first step towards helping to learn the night sky, at the moment, if you search for Celestron 10x50, you will find a number of outlets selling these for under £23, I know there are others cheaper still, but Celestron is one of the household names when it comes to quality optical products for Astronomy :)

Just a quick update...i bought the Praktica W10X50P binos and got the stargazing with binoculars book with them...not bad for £26!

They arrived this morning and look okay, very clear/sharp images in daylight atleast lol i'll try them on the stars tonight and see how i get on!

Just been outside for a bit and wow, im absolutely amazed at what i can see through the bino's compared to the naked eye, it's like opening up a whole new world!

I've also just been looking at Jupiter and can make out 2-3 of it's moons around it which amazed me! i'll need to get a tripod adaptor now, the shakiness is the only annoying thing!

Thanks - the clouds spoiled it in the end last night, i guess thats something i'll get used to! one minute i could see thousands of stars and an hour later i couldnt see a thing!

I think it'll take me a while to get used to spotting things and getting my bearings...i can't wait to get home from work tonight to look again...i just hope the clouds give me a fighting chance of seeing anything!

Do you have Stellarium? It's a free download and will show you the night sky over your location. Some good initial objects to view with binocs include M31, M45, Jupiter, the double cluster in Perseus, and M13. Others will suggest more for you :)

Hi,

I downloaded Stellarium a couple of days ago and found it invaluable! it really is an excellent piece of software.

I was trying to find M31 in Andromeda last night but the cloud cover was restricting my view of almost everything in the end. I was also struggling to find the square of Pegasus which i wanted to use to locate M31. Cassiopeia was quite clear but i was still struggling to find my way around Andromeda using that as a starting point.

Jupiter on the other hand was as clear as day and easily the brightest object i could see last night. I was really surprised when i could see the moons around it (tiny dots through the binos but still easily recogniseable)

The weather doesn't look great today though so im anticipating complete cloud cover tonight :)

Typically im also in work during the hours of the droconids meteor shower, so i'll miss that too!

Thanks - the clouds spoiled it in the end last night, i guess thats something i'll get used to! one minute i could see thousands of stars and an hour later i couldnt see a thing!

I think it'll take me a while to get used to spotting things and getting my bearings...i can't wait to get home from work tonight to look again...i just hope the clouds give me a fighting chance of seeing anything!

Hi 5thelement and welcome to the forum.

I am glad you are happy with your Praktica 10x50's they will give you a great introduction to the night sky.

A tripod will always be advantageous when using binoculars as is a sun lounger.

Paul

Archived