Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

seben big boss 150/1400

kaz

Hi

i have just bought my first telescope. i am a beginner who has'nt got a clue

i have bought a seben big boss 150/1400. has anyone else got one of these and what are they like? its a rubbish night so i cant get to try it out.

thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have just bought my first telescope. i am a beginner who has'nt got a clue

Hi Kaz,

Welcome aboard; you have chosen a great time to take up astronomy; ask as many questions as you like... We like questions :clouds1:

i have bought a seben big boss 150/1400. has anyone else got one of these and what are they like?

The 6" aperture should get you off to a good start.

its a rubbish night so i cant get to try it out.

Thats the 'new scope curse'. It always happens :clouds1: :clouds1:

I look forward to reading your posts,

Steve

Thats a F/9 - thats going to be quite good on the planets.... I'm looking forward to your "I saw saturn last night" post already :clouds1:

As Steve says, ask away mate - we like questions.

A 6" scope is a good size for a first scope and should show you plenty and will have you begging for more after a year! Thats when I upgraded my 6" to the 8" scope that I have now.

Welcome to the fourm BTW :clouds1:

Ant

ok here we go ........ my first question.............

when im looking through the viewing scope (the one on the top of the tube, not the side one.

) everything is upside down any ideas what ive done wrong?

im scratching my head here.

thanks

Kaz,

Hi welcome to the forum.

Upside down is how the view is supposed to be through the finder (and through the scope). It takes an extra len system (which absorbs light) to put the image the right way up so most astronomical telescopes don't bother beacause it really doesn't matter which way is 'up' when you are looking at an object in space.

Gaz

I wouldnt Kaz, your money would be better spent on either a larger aperture finder scope or a 1x finder such as this

take Steve's advice Kaz and go for the red dot finder - follow Steve's link.

On my big scope that's all I use to findmy my way around the sky

I don't bother to put the finder scope on the main tube anymore

Greg

hello again people,

here's for an update..... ive sold my big boss was'nt fussed on it.

if i was to get another one which would you recomend ?

i dont want too spend too much on my first scope but i would want a decent one.

thanks

kaz. :clouds1:

here's for an update..... ive sold my big boss was'nt fussed on it.

if i was to get another one which would you recomend ?

Phew ... thats a relief Kaz :clouds1:

It was hard being diplomatic about the 'big boss'. In truth it was a misbuy and selling it on was a good move.

There is plenty of good advice on the forum about choosing a good first scope but I will get straight to the point and suggest a 6 or 8 inch Dobsonian

Or, if you have deeper pockets you might try one of THESE

Steve :clouds1:

Good point Damien,

Several of us have GOTO scopes and its true that a beginner will see more in one clear night with GOTO than in an entire year with a traditional mount. However, the GOTO itself will account for a sizeable chunk of the purchase price, resulting in the actual optical tube being of lesser quality or smaller aperture.

Myself, I do use a GOTO mount and am pleased with it.... but then I also have a large aperture Dobsonian

Decisions :clouds1:

Steve

Personally i would get as much Aperture as you can for your money and if you want to learn the Night Sky buy some books and Starry Night Pro.

Mirror over Computer in my book just my opion of course it's what suits you that matters..

James

£120 ish ahh yes i wasnt thinking about that mmmmm you can get hold of a ETX 70 for a little more with tripod and of course GOTO or a secondhand Refractor of say 90mm or 80mm like the Skywatcher ST80 i reakon.

Instant results or hard worked results then? lol

James :clouds1:

Kaz

Many people favour 10x50 (magnification x lens size), there's a discussion in the newcomers section on bino's.

You will see plenty to keep you occupied with these, and they won't cost a fortune.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking the bigger (i.e. 30 x 60) will be better - this is not necessarily the case. Read the other thread, then ask some more :clouds1:

Hi Kaz!

Here's my 2 penneth worth.

A decent set of binoculars will give you more pleasing results than a small cheap telescope, you may get frustrated with the amazing magnifications that are(Misleadingly)advertised with the smaller, cheaper scopes

However I have a Meade ETX-70 refractor with GOTO which gives me nice views of star clusters, larger nebulas and Saturn. I was considering selling it but have decided against it is a nice portable, lighweight scope which I now use as a spotting scope for my 8" relector. When I started the GOTO system helped me find my way around the night sky, so the computerised scopes have their advantages, but as Steve has said you pay a considerable chunk of your money for the GOTO system.

Without knowing your budget have you considered a Dobsonian which you can put onto a mount at a later date, or a nice modest refractor on an EQ3 mount, which again you can upgrade the mount at a later date.

All the above is IMHO of course, it's just some advice that people gave to me when I started.

I'll get my coat!!!

Greg

... but then I also have a large aperture dobsonian.

Mmmmmm.........In my garage, gathering dust!!!!! You must come round and use it you know , Steve........

Greg (The Lone Astronomer)!!! :clouds1: :clouds1:

Archived