Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cocoon, another try with Ha.

ollypenrice

Although I had what I thought was a lovely Ha layer for this picture, I could not persuade it to add anything. However, after a lot of trying, I have at least managed to use it to improve the resolution of the central double star and bring a tad more contrast. I improved (I hope) the dust lane colour as well.

Olly

HALRGB-COCOONV2-X2.jpg

cocoon-crop-XL.jpg

Olly that is stunning, well done. What I really like is the amount of background stars that are being obscured by those thick patches of dust.

Thanks Adam,

Yes; I don't know if you've tried for this visually but what you can see quite easily is the dust lane but what I find near impossible to see is the nebula itself. Quite strange...

Olly

Olly that is really nice, that is fantastic resolution. what equipment and exposure did you take?[/quote

Hi, this combined exposures taken with Yves (VdB) last year and Branchman this year. Last year's was about 4.5 hours in the One Shot Colour Atik 4000. This year we used the mono and took an hour per channel colour and two hours of luminosity. The Ha had about five hours. So there's quite a lot of data in there, around 15 hours.

Processing a very deep stack is a real pleasure with no dodgy tricks or noise reduction. I love it!

The scope was our TEC140 triplet apo on Takahashi EM200 mount.

Olly

Great shot Olly! I think you should purchase a power newt next and go "Dust Barmy!"

I don't know how you keep banging the targets night after night? I've done a week of imaging and I'm all tuckered out!

Is it my eye's or is it sligthly bias towards the blue channel?Though I am viewing this at work so I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Matt.

Great shot Olly! I think you should purchase a power newt next and go "Dust Barmy!"

I don't know how you keep banging the targets night after night? I've done a week of imaging and I'm all tuckered out!

Is it my eye's or is it sligthly bias towards the blue channel?Though I am viewing this at work so I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Matt.

Could be a bit out on the blue. Let me know when you've tried another monitor. This is always a headache.

I could be tempted by something fast and may get to meet Harel later on this season. This was a piece of cake compared to the present project, the Ghost nebula, which really isn't an F7 project but I've started so I'll finish! I look like a ruddy ghost at the moment.

Olly

Nice Cocoon, & it looks very vibrant. I think its that nice shades of pinky colour which has made it stand out better - are you doing the Ghost Nebula with the 115 ? or has it gone back ? :)

Nadeem.

Thanks Nadeem. I'm sitting outside doing the Ghost as I write, but in the TEC. A guest wanted to use the FSQ so that's on the other mount. The 115 would frame it well but it is absolute murder to image!! It's really faint and so you are stretching the colour and that's what seems to make it so hard.

Olly

Could be a bit out on the blue. Let me know when you've tried another monitor. This is always a headache.

I could be tempted by something fast and may get to meet Harel later on this season. This was a piece of cake compared to the present project, the Ghost nebula, which really isn't an F7 project but I've started so I'll finish! I look like a ruddy ghost at the moment.

Olly

Well at work on my laptop looked slightly blue. At home with same laptop looks fine :) must be the lighting or something. I find colour casts to be a right pain in the proverbial!

Would love to see a review by your goodself on a power newt Olly as long as the collimation doesn't drive you to drink!

Matt.

Archived