Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cold Weather & My Scope

Hi Guys

I have secured my garden (as much as anyone can) and made sure myy insurance covers my scope, my intention is to leave my scope setup in the garden to make viewing as easy as possible.

I have purchased a scope cover from green witch (top quality) to keep the majority of the elements off the scope.

It was a particurly cold winter last year and everything i have read says this year will be at least as cold if not colder.

I have a C9.25, Whats the word on scopes being left out in these conditions? are the mirrors & motors in any danger from the frost & snow?

Yeah I agree with rowan46 the elements have a habit of working themselves into every nook and cranny. Once that moisture gets in there ain't much you can do about it other than a complete strip down of motors and other mechanical moving parts to get the water out. And that's not fun. If you do decide to keep it outside there is one alternative and that is to mount the scope on a platform off the floor by about 4" and cover with those plastic green houses. One over the other creating effectively a giant double glazed unit. I have seen it done, however when replacing after viewing you need to wipe th inside bone dry.

I'm sure I've seen photos on SGL of someone who made a pier with a wooden platform that supported an up-turned dustbin used to protect the scope from the elements. Not attractive, but functional and relatively cheap.

James

I'd be worried about leaving a scope under a tarp (even a good tarp) for long periods of time. Not enough ventilation so stuff will probably rust and bad things will happen. Perhaps what I'd do is put it out a couple of hours before observing, go observing, then tarp it up for the night and pack up in the morning. Another possibility would be to built a permanent pier and pop the scope on and off each night.

I'd be worried about leaving a scope under a tarp (even a good tarp) for long periods of time. Not enough ventilation so stuff will probably rust and bad things will happen. Perhaps what I'd do is put it out a couple of hours before observing, go observing, then tarp it up for the night and pack up in the morning. Another possibility would be to built a permanent pier and pop the scope on and off each night.

This is what I'm intending to do.

Getting the plates made up as we speak (£90 for powder coated BZP mild steel 2.5" thick). I have a scope cover (http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Catalogue/365%20Series%20Covers.html) although I intend to only leave the mount connected (OTA, weights & weight bar will be removed each night).

I will also be using bulk silica gel granuals in a suitable container to control any moisture (is reusable so I can use one, and replace every couple of days.

I feel this will be sufficient to protect the mount, and minimise my set up time each night.

I am hoping this will enable me to fine tune the polar alignment over time.

My only thought is around powering the mount. Should I leave it powered - the transformer unit will generate a little heat, which might not be a bad thing, but this might attract some little critters.

This is what I'm intending to do.

Getting the plates made up as we speak (£90 for powder coated BZP mild steel 2.5" thick). I have a scope cover (http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Catalogue/365%20Series%20Covers.html) although I intend to only leave the mount connected (OTA, weights & weight bar will be removed each night).

I will also be using bulk silica gel granuals in a suitable container to control any moisture (is reusable so I can use one, and replace every couple of days.

I feel this will be sufficient to protect the mount, and minimise my set up time each night.

I am hoping this will enable me to fine tune the polar alignment over time.

My only thought is around powering the mount. Should I leave it powered - the transformer unit will generate a little heat, which might not be a bad thing, but this might attract some little critters.

Loving the silca gel idea thats great. I dont work to far from the widescreen centre so i might pop in and have a look at those covers as well.

I am also looking for some sort of 'rap around water proof mutli-layed coat' for the mount, something with velcro on it that i can rap around the mount quickly.

Might try and pay the old lady a visit and see if she could make me something up.

• 2 weeks later...

constant damp or humidity can destroy the primary mirror if u have a newt,starts around the edges and works in.im new to astronomy but my mate had an old newt in a iron shed it happend to his.the silver coating flakes of.a wooden shed is a good option and is less damp than being out side.:-)

Archived