NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fastar and Hyperstar...

Do you have / use Fastar/hyperstar?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have / use Fastar/hyperstar?

• Have it and use it...
    • have it but dont use it....
    • Dont have it...

Thanks for that John, it made for good reading... so when it is working its great, but the rest of the time its a pain, and the NB and LP filters dont function properly.

Abit of the subject, but will we see you at Turf hill soon its been a long time :glasses2:

I've got both. The Fastar came with the scope when I bought it and I had a bit of fun with it with the watec. A couple of years ago I decided to upgrade to hyperstar and a large chip camera. But due to other problems its only over the last few months that I've actually started trying to use it. I've had mega collimation/flat field problems though, compounded by a loose secondary holder. I need to get the whole system tightened up and then give it another go. But the amount of nebula that the system collects in a short time is amazing!

Helen

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure I understand this fastar business...

OK, so you get a megafast astrograph but: you presumably can't use filter wheels as it would be too much of an obstruction, it's clearly very tricky to colimate, and it's a swine to focus too (and can't use a focus mask).

Also, presumably the cables will produce a diffraction spike which won't look great, surely?

Combine with the cost and it's looking a bit unrealistic for me.

Archived