Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory re-work

Helen

My observatory has been having a few problems. Water has been getting in at the front and has caused part of the floor to rot. In addition, the roof has caused problems ever since it was built - primarily because of the odd design by the shed builders who built it. So we considered a full rebuild, but discussions with a local carpenter/builder led instead to a rework.

The work has involved rectifying the cause of the water ingress and laying a new floor where needed. But the major work has been building a new roof which is light enough for me to handle, but still very robust. They've been on site 2 days so far and 1 more tomorrow should see it finished. The biggest challenge proved to be dismantling and removing the old, extremely solid and heavy, roof.

The new roof design is lightweight framing, 1 inch insulation board, battens and then bitumin fibre sheets. They reckon it'll be about a third of the weight of the old roof. I decided to splash out on high quality wheels and tracks designed for sliding gates this time (rather than cheap screwfix castors). It all seems to have worked. With just the frame it rolled so easily you could move it with one finger :glasses2: and it had to be screwed down to stop the wind blowing it along!! Even with the roof complete (except for the cladding on the front an back) I can still easily move it. So hopefully my intricate pulley system is a thing of the past!!

Attached are some pictures

Helen

post-13020-133877664312_thumb.jpg

post-13020-133877664319_thumb.jpg

post-13020-133877664325_thumb.jpg

post-13020-133877664331_thumb.jpg

Looking good. I like the sheeting used for the roof, and the way the roof uses an open frame with batons... most of the weight of my ROR is the two 8 x 4 12mm ply sheets, but then I have no fear of the roof being that light it will all be lifted off in high winds. I do like look of that rail system too

Thanks guys. This morning we've been looking at ways of stopping the roof rolling as it rolls so easily :icon_eek:

I used Bradgate Supplies info@bradgatesupplies.co.uk after a bit of googling. Ken Lowson there was brilliant! He was quick to get back to me, if he emailed he'd ring to check I'd got the info, he discussed with the suppliers what was most appropriate, and the delivery came next day. The FLO of the gate roller world :D.

The rolling mechanism is from CAMEUK http://www.cameuk.co...010.pdf#search="327-80"

I got 2 3m tracks each side, and connectors and 4 wheels (327-80s) each side. For gates they actually recommend just 2 each side, but because one of my supports is shorter and so one wheel rolls off, and to avoid sagging, we decided on 4. As I said these are high quality and the price is accordingly quite high! The total including delivery was just under £190. But the builders have said that its the quality of the wheels that is making it so easy to move, and so I reckon they would easily cope with significantly extra weight and still be very smooth. Well worth the cost :)

Helen

CAME are based in Sandiacre, Nottingham and have a trade desk to collect from. You can also get same/similar items from FH Brundle who have 6 depots across the country. HTH
FH Brundle say they are "trade only" and do not deal with private individuals.

FH Brundle say they are "trade only" and do not deal with private individuals.

Opps, forgot that as I have a trade account with them! I also have a trade account with CAME who are trade only as well, the op bought through a dealer, Bradgate. Tracks as above are £17.04 each, not sure about the wheels, the one's I have (see my build thread) were £5.88, all plus vat.

Archived