NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoviewers

jimmyjamjoejoe

Unless you're one of the few who can't merge the two images, there's no reason not to use them for lunar and planetary. Personally I don't know how anyone does any serious planetary observation without using them!

With most of the lower-cost units, bear in mind that the longest usable eyepiece is a 26mm 50 deg (e.g. Plossl) or a 20mm 60 degree eyepiece, since there is a ~21mm baffle which restricts the field size.

Well, i was hoping you guys would say they were rubbish... Yet another thing on my saving list... :)

Sorry, but even the so-called "cheap" ones are good, particuarly on the Moon and planets. Don't skimp on eyepieces though.

I made a binoviewer using a mirror-type beamsplitter from Edmund Scientific and three flip-up mirrors from redundant SLRs. Its advantage over my WO binoviewer is that it's much lighter.

The disadvantage is that the mirror-type beamsplitter produces a ghost image from its rear face. This doesn't matter for the Sun, Moon and Planets ( the 5% or so ghost image is well to one side ), but it turns every star into a binary!

Not bad if you like ultra-rich fields ( chuckle ).

I've done this post a second time, having pressed the "Go Advanced" button, when I should have pressed "Post Quick Reply".

Archived