Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter - 18th Sept - SPC900

solarwallace

Nice....

It's amazing to think that 20 years ago you only saw images like that taken from large professional scopes based in astronomical institutions.... now armed with a humble £30 web cam and free software we're all able to get cracking results like this

Hi Steve

Great start! try to get a Barlow that will get you to ~ F25 also create a bahtinov mask that will get your focus dead on. One last thing try to get between 500 - 1500 frames in the final stacking (you can shoot 3 minutes @ 10 fps to get 1800 frames then Registax will do the rest)

Clear skies

Dror

Thanks for the tips Olorin.

@wildwood: well I'm not doing anything special. I'm actually capturing at 5fps (wondering if that cuts down on compression?) and only tweaking the exposure from default in Sharpcap. Using a 3x televue Barlow which is quite nice. Used 200 frames from 500. Then spent quite a while tweaking my wavelets :) I can't actually see where you're located wildwood as I'm using my mobile app to type this. Maybe see you at the wolves and west mids group farm site some time if you're a member of that? We're a lazy lot though :)

Might try using 10fps for longer to see what that does next time. Don't hold your breath though as I need the weather gods to behave at the weekend as I'm too tied up with work in the week. There's always Kielder though :)

Thanks again.

Steve

Great image SW good colour and plenty of detail. I keep meaning to try out my SPC in the 250PX. As Space cowboy said you can use more magnification than you would usually consider usable visually. I found stacking 2 x2 barlows has really started to improve my attempts.

Archived