Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A question on 'seeing' & moonshine!!

sevs23

Over the last couple of nights I've (for the 1st time) oberved the ring nebula (:() and also taken a good look at Jupiter.

The questions I have are:

a) there was a very bright (full/almost full) moon - if this was a moonless night, how much would my views of m57 have improved - I was using a 150 Mak with both a 25mm then 12mm BST?

:) Jupiter was low as it was perhaps 10pm - how much would the atmosphere affected seeing? - My best view was either with a 25mm BST or with a standard 17mm SW plossl

I was mightily impressed with m57 (even though it looked like a tiny smoke ring) as this is only my 3rd Messier I've located (after m31 & m13)

Thxs

Steve

Most DS objects will look a lot dimmer on a full moon, it really does wash out the sky,

M57 also looks like a small smoke ring with my 200p even with no moon, but i also have some light pollution to deal with.

The pictures you may have sen of M57 will always look much better as with all DS objects.

Jupiter will always look better when it's higher in the sky (if you can stay awake) as it escapes most of the heat coming from earth.

Yes Dave is right, the higher you observe Jupiter, the better. I got up early a few days ago (very early) and had the best view of Jupiter ever, for me. The banding across the planet was beautiful, a clarity I had never seen before.

Bart

The pictures you may have sen of M57 will always look much better as with all DS objects.

That is your opinion. Whether an object looks "better" or not is up to the individual.

I personally think all live views are 1000x better than any AP's

I would not exchange a single view at the eyepiece to sit and stare at just a picture.

Regards Steve

I always prefer both Jupiter and Saturn when the moon is bright, I feel it takes away some of the planets own glare and I always get better views. And I am with the others, observe Jupiter as high as you can stay up for it to get or get up early.

That is your opinion. Whether an object looks "better" or not is up to the individual.

I personally think all live views are 1000x better than any AP's

I would not exchange a single view at the eyepiece to sit and stare at just a picture.

Regards Steve

You are right, it is nice to view them "in the fesh" and i would always pick that over a photo, it also brings a big grin on my face,but what i ment was colour, detail etc

As dose viewing before it gets dark or when it is getting light.

I done this with the moon a while back, put the scope out to cool and the moon was in view so thought i'l take a look, WOO what a clear and detail image i seen never thought it would be so good,

I bet these recent mornings would have been good, moon was up till 8am

Archived