Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

Hopefully that will work. It may be worth considering that once the panels are attached, the wind will create constant buffetting and vibration of the brace points which may risk weakening joints over time.

The whole build is looking good though - I'm very impressed with how your doing.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully that will work. It may be worth considering that once the panels are attached, the wind will create constant buffetting and vibration of the brace points which may risk weakening joints over time.

The whole build is looking good though - I'm very impressed with how your doing.

Thanks Kevin :)

The major joints will be fastened with 10mm coach bolts but I was considering using glue as well though not sure if glue will take on treated timber.

I'm not making a very early start today as everything is running with water after overnight rain and a very heavy dew plus it's very cold yet. The temperature is rising - it was 4C when I went out to do the livestock but already up to nearly 6C in the early morning sunshine.

Loads of room to fix a couple of lengths of ply across/under the apex (like a box) fixed to each side and still clear the flat roof, light and strong - and could be fitted after if needed. Build looking good Gina.

JCJC's dad

Loads of room to fix a couple of lengths of ply across/under the apex (like a box) fixed to each side and still clear the flat roof, light and strong - and could be fitted after if needed. Build looking good Gina.

JCJC's dad

Thanks :) Yes, changing to an apex roof allows extra room for bracing. I was very limited with my original flat room design.

Very much on and off progress today as I dodge the showers :) Still it's gradually getting done :)

Unfortunately the webcam computer is having "40 fits" and won't co-operate :evil6:

Been working entirely on the roll off roof framework today.

1. Measured and cut the 4"x2" (100x47mm) central cross beam and soaked the ends in wood preserver.

2. Set central cross beam into place.

3. Fitted the middle angled roof support joists.

4. Attached some bits of wood to guide the roll off assembly (in lieu of rollers which I'll add later), as I got fed up with the roll off wheels coming off the running track almost every time I moved it.

5. Measured up and cut the purlins (cross members between the joists that carry the corrugated roofing) for the north side of the roof. Plus the usual soaking of the ends.

6. Fitted the purlins between the joists and fastened them each end with 4" no.10 wood screw through the joists into the ends.

Today's photos :-

2011-10-19-1.jpg

2011-10-19-2.jpg

2011-10-19-3.jpg

2011-10-19-4.jpg

2011-10-19-5.jpg

2011-10-19-6.jpg

2011-10-19-7.jpg

2011-10-19-8.jpg

Still working on the roll off roof framework today. Several small jobs not worth mentioning individually and barely noticeable in photos. More noticeable was the addition of more purlins to the roof support framework. Progress was delayed by the very low temperatures today and less achieved than I had hoped.

Just the one photo today. Taken rather late in the day, with a 1 sec exposure, hand held, so has some shake :-

2011-10-20-1.jpg

hmmm 1 sec exposure showing timber trails,,,maybe think ogf trying guiding lol hehehehe
:):D:D

Actually the camera has auto-guiding built in - they call it Image Stabilisation :) It did a pretty good job IMO - normally a totally impossible exposure hand-held.

Bitterly cold again today and difficult to do much with frozen fingers!! So it's a matter of doing it in short stages with warming up periods in between.

It's coming along nicely, Gina.
Thank you :) Slowly but surely :(
Just a thought...

You might have enough clearance between top of warm room roof and apex of roll-off roof to put additional braces in like this:

Yes, there is room and I plan to do that :p

When does the shiplap arrive Gina - we need to get you boxed in :p - you know what I mean :)
Yes, I know what you mean :) I'm afraid I had to delay ordering the shiplap due to cash flow problems but should have enough funds next week.
Trouble is you'll have to put the webcam inside the obsy then so we can still watch you tinkerin :(
Ah yes :( Good thinking ... I'll have to look into that. Set up a webcam with a wide angle lens :) I could use my modified SPC900NC with a wide angle board lens. Or I could take another apart and do the same, I have several.

OR... my new netbook has a built-in webcam - must see what angle that covers. It does wireless too so I could just make sure the battery is charged and take it out when I go out. I'll check that out :)

Rather than wooden bracing, as suggested by YesYes, maybe a hefty (spelling??) steel strip bent to 90° would be a better option (if you need bracing at all) - something like 2" x 1/4" should do - but you will need a bit of heat to get the bend in it!

Rather than wooden bracing, as suggested by YesYes, maybe a hefty (spelling??) steel strip bent to 90° would be a better option (if you need bracing at all) - something like 2" x 1/4" should do - but you will need a bit of heat to get the bend in it!
I think that would be a bit springy given the dimensions of the roof. Agreed a welded up bracket would be good but I don't have the facilities. Alternatively, brackets made of steel angle with a strut at 45 degrees would be OK.

When the framework is complete I shall be able to tell if more bracing is required or not.

A bitterly cold breeze meant only a little progress today - can't work with frozen fingers! :( Made some progress on the roll off framework though. :)

1. Added the rest of the purlins.

2. Fastened south side joists to central cross beam.

3. Some smaller jobs.

4. Put guttering up temporarily to carry rain water run-off from warm room roof out of the way rather than flooding the floor.

2011-10-21-1.jpg

2011-10-21-2.jpg

I've ordered the shiplap - at last. Just sufficient funds now. 40 lengths of 4.8m by 136mm coverage per board. Cost just over £360 inc VAT.

Another fine but cold day with a chilling breeze. No major milestones passed today on the actual build - just a number of small, tidying up jobs.

1. Trimmed the excess rubber membrane from the warm room roof.

2. Lifted end floorboard from warm room floor and trimmed it to width.

3. Applied wood preserver to freshly exposed wood on edge of floorboard.

4. Applied wood preserver to various other pieces.

5. Several little jobs.

Didn't take any DSLR photos so I've cropped some of the webcam saved images and uploaded those.

2011-10-22-1.jpg

2011-10-22-2.jpg

2011-10-22-3.jpg

2011-10-22-4.jpg

2011-10-22-5.jpg

Good to see some "action" hots Gina, rather than the mainly static views posted so far.

Regarding the need for bracing, I reckon you will find you need to add some. YesYes's suggested corner bracing at the apex should work fine in my opinion.

Looking great.

Archived