Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choosing a Starter Scope (£100-150)

Choosing a good telescope around £100-150 can be a challenge as the majority sold have wobbly mounts, insufficient aperture and/or low quality optics. Most models sold as ‘starter’ scopes are more likely to ‘finish’ a hobby. (It also doesn't help that some manufacturers and dealers normally associated with quality kit include them in their range!).

After considerable thought (and discussion here on SGL) First Light Optics offers the following:

Skywatcher Mercury 705 This short-tube refractor is the only sub £100 scope FLO stocks because it is the only one that offers metal construction and a sturdy Alt-Az mount. Optically, it is surprisingly good and its aperture delivers 36% more light gathering than a 60mm. Chances are that when you come to upgrade the 705 you will keep it as a handy grab-and-go scope or perhaps a guide-scope for an imaging set-up.

Skywatcher Startravel 80 The ST80 is the next step up from the Mercury 705 and is one of those scopes that seems to exceed the total of its parts. Available as an OTA or on the EQ1 GEQ mount.

Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145PM It is remarkable that Synta can produce such a good quality f4.4 machine-polished paraboloidal mirror for the price. It also now includes a driven mount.

Celestron FirstScope 114 EQ There are two versions of this scope: Short-tube and long-tube. The short-tube is most popular for its compact size but it uses a ‘built-in correction lens’ to achieve this (essentially, a barlow built into the focuser). For this reason FLO recommends the longer tube model for its greater contrast, clarity and magnification.

Hope that helps. :D

Having used both the Mecury and the ST80 I highly recommend both these scopes for beginners. They are both extremely easy to setup and very light so easy to run outside with when theres a break inthe clouds.

I've had my ST80 for awhile now and although I now have other, bigger scopes it still gets used regularly. I've contemplated selling it but doubt I ever will because its just so handy to have.

With both the Mecury and ST80 I had wonderful first views of Saturn, Jupiter and some great times gazing at the moon. I wholeheartedly recommend them as starter scopes.

Cheers,

Grant

I am very new at this but I will say that it seems to me that an equatorial mount is wrong for this price range. Why would you need one? You are not going to do DSO imaging with a starter scope. A chunky alt-azimuth with good quality fine control (my EQ1 screws are already falling off) would be better. Any money saved can also go towards a better focuser/barlow/finder.

Having said that, equatorial mounts look impressive and provide you with plenty of faffing about opprtunities.

M 51, yes, that's a good target, it will be high up and I haven't seen it yet. So what's the drill? do a polar alignment, find Alkaid, set the circles to Alkaid's coordinates and then slew to the M 51 coords, right?

I am very new at this but I will say that it seems to me that an equatorial mount is wrong for this price range.

I tend to agree and think its a shame that the Startravel 80 isn't also offered with the AZ3. However, the EQ1 GEQ mount can accept a drive (supplied with the 1145PM) and a lot of people want to experience a GEQ.

I really wanted to include the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P and Skywatcher Explorer 130PM but they just fall outside the budget :D

Its above the £150 starter fund but you can now get (Steve?) the ST80 on a motorised tracking mount for around £200....

Not sure if they're out yet though or how good they are.

When I went to Cornwall awhile back, I hooked my ST80 up to a camera tripod to take with me, worked a treat and very, very lightweight and portable. Pretty sturdy too considering!

• 2 weeks later...

I am very new at this but I will say that it seems to me that an equatorial mount is wrong for this price range.

I tend to agree and think its a shame that the Startravel 80 isn't also offered with the AZ3. However, the EQ1 GEQ mount can accept a drive (supplied with the 1145PM) and a lot of people want to experience a GEQ.

I really wanted to include the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P and Skywatcher Explorer 130PM but they just fall outside the budget :D

i might be a bit late for this topic , but as i am still considering buying the Skywatcher Explorer 130PM or sth really similar, (to become my first scope), i was hoping Steve could comment a bit on this further. how about EQ2 mount? i heard it's not really sturdy.. and would it be easy enough to carry this whole stuff arround? though after all the math i've done with my budget and all the reading it would still be a best option for me.i think.. or any other suggestions for the price? (though it might not be a place for this question)

thanx

Archived