Good advice need for new guy please !!

I've only been a member for a whole 30 mins and im already asking questions...lol Sorry !!

For years I've always had a healthy interest in astronomy, but due to the girlfriend and work commitments is something I regret not having done before.

Now both have moved on (for the better I might add) I have decided to take the plunge and follow my interest.

My question is before I spend my money unwisely on some rubbish is what is my first purchase.

I have a budget of around £400 but do I go straight in and spend it on a decent telescope, if so whats the best option or do I go for a £100 telescope???

This is something im really looking forward to getting into so any advice is welcome please.

Ryan

Ryan,

Glad to hear you are looking forward to getting into astronomy. It's great stuff!

The more questions you ask the better, so no need to be sorry - the folk here are always happy to help out!

Regarding the scope I would do a bit of reading here + see if there are any astro clubs around - go observing with them, you will be welcome to join!

It's difficult to recommend anything specific at this stage, since there are too many factors involved (are you after planetary/DSO/both type observing, are you planning to get into imaging etc etc)... but soon you will narrow down your 'requirements' and it will be easier to decide.

You've got a fair budget, therefore a few decent options around. Spend some time on the research and you will definitely make the right decision.

Regards and good luck with your first scope.

My piece of advice is not to rush into any purchase. Read through threads posted by people in your position and see what advice they are being given. Then ask lots of your own questions before investing. In broad terms I think you will need to invest around £200 to get something worthwhile - then the other £200 can go on accessories, of which there are many choices too !.

But have a good browse around for a while and don't be too hasty to "flash the plastic" !.

Welcome to the forum by the way !

PS: Don't be tempted to buy from Amazon / E.Bay etc. Lots of pitfalls in those directions if you don't know what you are looking for.

hi and welcome from me , get the scope thats not gonna need a upgrade in 2 months time,sooooooooo many people start of with a small scope and 2 months later want the big boys toys so i say get a reflectorin my eyes they are a good all rounder and if you buy a cheap web cam and adapter the moon and the planets shall be yours,say in that i brought the bigest reflector i could aford ,and then ended up buy in a small grab and go,goto scope butget the one you wantstraight away as they will old there value small ones do not unless they cost a bomb to start with choose wisely and update us on what you get ?

Warm welcome to the lounge Ryan.

If i did it again with the budget, I'd be looking at a solid tube dob (maybe squeezing in a pair of bino's), when interested further, stick it on a good EQ mount if/when the funds allow.

IMO you'll get to know the sky and, therefore enjoy it much more. It all depends on what you're after though as many people are happy with Mk1 eyeballs :)

Hello and welcome to SGL

There is an equipment review section on the forum (find it under the Equipment groupings on SGL) so check out what other members think of their scopes before taking the plunge.

Also, you can start off with a pair of 7x50 / 10x50 binoculars. You can get decent bins in the £50-100 price range and they will stay with you throughout your astronomy life.

HI.

30 minutes before question's, what took you so long? :)

£400 is a big budget and there is a lot of kit out there. Sit down and ask yourself what you want to look at, planets or clusters. Do you want to observe or photograph. This will start to narrow down the equipment that you want.

Some scopes are good for viewing only and other are more suited to photography.

Dont jump into a £100 scope to start with. I did and within a week had to upgrade to something else more suitable. A year on and I need to upgrade from a 130 scope to a 200 scope and better mounting.

Lens's will cost you money to beware. Do you have any eye conditions? That will also impact what type of eye piece's you purchase.

Give First light Optics a call (FLO) and chat with the lads. They can guide you once you know what you are after.

Best of luck.

Hi Ryan, and welcome to SGL from sunny Swindon, considering your first scope is very exciting, as it was for me, but FLO were superb, bought both my scopes from them. As others have said, £400 is a healthy budget, don't get a £100 scope, that will only buy you a small starter scope of small aperture, stick to leading brands (See FLO website) and don't be too hasty, my first scope was my SW 200P, and I have never looked back. Good luck and take care :)

We call the under $100 U.S. 70mm refractors the "cheap dime-store scopes" and advise heavily against purchasing such trash.

Our club's website has some very good information regarding the purchase of your first scope. Look for it here: Welcome to the TriState Astronomers

The advice about purchasing a good pair of binocs is very excellent. You will be able to identify MANY star clusters, asterisms, etc. with a good set. But again, don't get too cheap a set, or go hog-wild with a huge set that you can't hold steady !

Dig around on the forum, and check out our club's website for lots of excellent advice. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The gang here is excellent and loves to help !

Jim S

For years I've always had a healthy interest in astronomy, but due to the girlfriend and work commitments is something I regret not having done before.

Now both have moved on (for the better I might add) I have decided to take the plunge and follow my interest.

Well Ryan, since you've waited this long a little longer won't hurt :)

The first thing I'd suggest is getting to look through some astronomical telescopes (as opposed to the sort you see in supermarkets). See if there's an astronomy club near you - they usually meet about once a month and at this time of year will be trawling for new members. Because of that, a lot of clubs have "open evenings" or the like, where members of the public can go along to the club, or to a specially organised even in a local park or open space and check out a few telescopes and sights.

By going to a club you can get to see first hand what sorts of things you can expect and also get experience of different types of 'scope. After that you'll be in a better position to know what's available and what interests you at the moment.

Archived