Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barnard's Star - ongoing project - frame 5

Just a bit of fun really: I've been doing this since 2007, and I'll go on as long as I'm able. One frame per year.

Just to show how Barnard's star is moving across the sky. At the rate it's going, ten arcseconds per year, it'll be some 50 years before it runs off the edge of my frame, so no danger of me ever completing the animation! :) If anyone younger wants to take up the project...... :D

And in about 11,700 years it will be at its closest to Earth, when it will be somewhere over the NCP I think.

Just for information the five frames are dated 14/08/07, 29/07/08, 16/09/09, 15/09/10 and 27/08/11. The last of these was 10x1 minutes and the previous frames more or less the same; alignment etc. with ImagesPlus, animation with AnimationShop (bundle with PaintshopPro).

If anyone wonders why the star reddens between frames 2 and 3, well, that's when I had the camera modded! Barnard is a red dwarf so it ought to appear red. I suppose I could artificially tweak the hue of frames 1 and 2 but I haven't bothered.

post-14835-133877659216_thumb.gif

Very nice, ive never see this before, and i love you commitment.... Why is it moving?

Thankd

Hi Keiron,

All, or most stars in our galaxy, or any other for that matter, have an independent motion through space. This motion is usually only detected by sophisticated means. Barnards star, is close enough to us, for it's proper motion to be seen. Not as you are observing it of course, but by the method used by the OP.

Most stellar object's coordinates are fixed in an atlas for an epoch which is 50 years. At the end of that epoch, the coordinates are changed for publication into new maps and atlases, to account for the changes that have taken place due to proper motion of the stars. The differences are quite small in most cases, but they have to be recorded. Barnard is the exception though, it will have moved against the background stars quite a bit in 50 years.

Ron.

Just a bit of fun really: I've been doing this since 2007, and I'll go on as long as I'm able. One frame per year.

Just to show how Barnard's star is moving across the sky. At the rate it's going, ten arcseconds per year, it'll be some 50 years before it runs off the edge of my frame, so no danger of me ever completing the animation! :D If anyone younger wants to take up the project...... ;)

That is nicely done Pete, I like it:)

No chance of me seeing it reaching the edge of your frame either !

Often, during cloudy nights I look back through my "Burnhams Celestial Handbook"s looking at the diagrams of where things were in 1950 and where they will be in 20**, I think ,,, what if, if only,,

Thanks for sharing.

I want a time machine :)

Malcolm.

That is nicely done Pete, I like it:)

No chance of me seeing it reaching the edge of your frame either !

Actually I was a bit out in my calculations.

If CdC is accurate, the following screen grab shows how far Barnard's will move in 100 years, not 50. Still just on the edge of the field.

There are also several faint fuzzies in the field, it seems. I never realised that (because I didn't have the PGC catalogue 'turned on', before). Think I can just make out one or two.

post-14835-133877659448_thumb.jpg

100 years, not 50. Still just on
I'll be lucky to see a 1/10 of that ! Still, lets not be morbid, if there are any 10y olds reading here this should be an inspiration to them !

(and I'll come back to haunt them in a wee while teheee :) )

Archived