Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So I want a really nice scope.

I need some advice, as many of you know I've got two scopes and am thinking of selling the smaller and getting either a different or a much bigger dob than my current 10". There seems to be no advice on upgrading. I'm currently eyeing a 14" dob. But I know nothing when it comes to bigger scopes. I know aperture is king in visual astronomy but what provides the best views? What kind of scope would I be better off with?

I had a CPC1100 SCT but replaced it with an OO UK 14" dob with a .990 Strehl mirror fitted with a a StellarCAT drive system that allows tracking or full GOTO. Shows so much more than the C11.

The OO 14" dob is only slightly heavier than a SkyWatcher 12" dob and I found it easier to move around and set-up than the CPC1100 although I did fit carry handles to the OTA which makes such a difference.

The OO 14" OTA isn't that long and will fit in the back of just about any hatchback with one of the back seats folded forward along with the compact OO base. The SkyWatcher 14" dob on the other hand has a much bulkier base and weighs a lot more than the OO dob.

So a lot comes down to just how portable do you need the scope to be. A C11 OTA on an EQ mount will break down into three main parts for transporting, which means it will be easier to fit into the back of a car and no one part will be that heavy. However it won't be able to show as much as the 14" OTA. The OO dob will be easier to transport than the SkyWatcher dob, and you can get better optics as well, but there is the price difference to consider.

John

Hi

It Would help greatly if you could tell us where you are observing from, home or from another place?

Whether you need to transport the scope up and down stairs, through doorways and the like?

If road trips are required what size vehicle do you have access to?

What type of observing do you enjoy most?

Once you decide a large scope is going to be part of your life all these factors need careful consideration.

Most of these factors are the deciding points on what scope you should buy.

Go as large as you possibly can, but be realistic you must be able to manage it alone.

Don't rush into a large scope purchase, if you know you could manage a 18" scope don't buy anything smaller than an 18". Or you will be upgrading again (trust me on this, I stupidly bought a 16" when I knew I should have kept saving).:)

Regards Steve

Well I enjoy stars and Dso's the most, I will keep the scope in the basement near the place in the backyard, this is all just thinking right now, but I want to do the research now, in case I ever do decide to upgrade from the 10" I think with some of the prices I could go 20, but I think the limit for me might be 16-18 due to me being the only one who carries the thing. How much would an 18" dob weigh if I went the truss route? How good are the optics on the custom jobs?

I have a 20 inch. It can be moved in a mid sized estate car but I wouldn't want to move it and don't. I have a roll off shed. The other option is to roll the scope out on rails or wheels from your garage.

Bigger is certainly better, all things being equal and talking visual rather than imaging.

If I were American I would have an Obsession with a Carl Zambuto.

Olly

Archived