NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Transit Time of Jupiter Great Red Spot

Thanks for that. Since I got my moonlight focuser I can see a lot more detail on Jupiter.

Does UT = BST -1?

Also if you compare Sirius's site here

Jupiter Great Red Spot (GRS) transits

With Sky and Telescopes here

Great Red Spot Transit Table 2011-2012 - SkyTel Beyond the Page - SkyandTelescope.com

and Jodrell Bank's data here

The Night Sky September 2011 | Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics

(down the page a bit)

On Sept 9th late one they give 21.15, 21,17 and 22.45 when converted to UT

Why such a variation?

Simon

Edited by cyborg421

It's more like the PGO at the moment - Pale Grey Oval !

No wonder i'm having trouble.:)

Thanks for that. Since I got my moonlight focuser I can see a lot more detail on Jupiter.

Does UT = BST -1?

On Sept 9th late one they give 21.15, 21,17 and 22.45 when converted to UT

Why such a variation?

Simon

Yes ,UT=GMT=BST-1.

Re, time variations, & this is not coming from a planetary expert :)...

Transit times are based on the GRS's longitude, this is not fixed due to the variations of the Jovian weather systems,so varies over time.

Presumably the different websites are using different GRS longitudes in there calculations??

• 3 years later...

This is the one I usually use initialised to today.  :smiley:

I wouldn't worry to much about it being too accurate, because the times give the position of the GRS when it's half way across the planet, so you've at least 30 mins before and after that in order to catch it.

Great app I found shows you graphically. Not sure if this app is on android.

I am using this on the iphone.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gas-giants/id397831483?mt=8

Also shows you where the moons are and their transit shadows.

22796c2a2baa4c0cdb26fdc9ebe4998d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Andy Milner

Jupiter moons is a great iOS app which draws from Sky & Telescope info. It is always accurate in my experience.

Stellarium can be inaccurate for several reasons. Firstly, as mentioned already the spot drifts with respect to the meridian, and so there is a parameter an .ini file which needs correcting to get the timing right. There are details on the forum if you search.

Secondly, the light transit time from Jupiter varies, normally it is 30 or 40 minutes. Stellarium has an option 'simulate light speed' which effectively delays the positions of moons and GRS by this time, making them accurate as we see them from earth rather than as they actually happen.

Jupiter moons and the app on the S&T site correct for both these parameters so they are always correct.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive never set out to see it, but i either have seen it and just not known it or i have missed it (the longest session i spent observing Jupiter was 5hr ............half its rotation period). 

Mind you that was with a 90mm refractor and i was new to scopes, so very inexperienced . Not sure either my eyes or the scope were up to the job. 

I tend now not to spend too much time observing planets. I'm more of a DSO (nebulae in particular) hunter using my 8 inch SCT. 

• 5 years later...

I can really recommend the Android app "Planetica" which predicts the spot's visbility for any date and location (works offline).

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.labnoctis.planetica

The results match the predictions of Sky&Telescope website and were quite reliable. Another bonus of this app is the ability to easily adjust the drift paramaters of the spot, because these tend to change over longer time periods.

You will also get predictions for surface features on Mars (Olympus Mons, Syrtis Major).

• Like 1