Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2011 Astro Fest , My report , Photo Heavy

Essex Stargazer

Hi All

Thought I would post this in case anyone was interested , so here goes !

IMG_1306.jpg

Went down Friday 2nd , arrived at 14.00 , Weather fine and quite a few people already in attendance

.Set up in my van and got my scope out to cool :p

The sky looked good with just very high wispy clouds

Had a wander around the site ( Camping area ) as this was my first Astro Event was not sure what happens ? but it worked out for me as follows ,

While walking around I found if I looked at some equipment and the owners looked at me then look away , that was as far as it went :)

However If I stopped and looked at a scope setup and the owner looked at me and said " Hi How are you " they were interested in a chat and talking about astro related items :(

I knew instantly if I was welcome , don't want to be a pain to anyone so I knew where I stood

Got on well with the family in a caravan next to me , Tea and bacon buttys :) and several long chats

Also spent some time with a chap with a imaging setup ( @ x Williams optics ) , he knew what he was doing , I was impressed

Went into the Observatory center for a wander around and to look at the massive scopes :D

Back to my van for a scotch and coke , Then notice the Moon was up in daylight so had my first Look through the LX90 with the 16mm EP / the the 9mm EP , WOW huge detail , The couple in the caravan came over for a look as well so we were all quite happy

Darkness decended , by this time the Moon was gone , so a quick look around for a bright object to look at and found one , so in manual mode ( No Goto ) had a look and low and behold I had found Jupiter and could see all the moons

Around 11pm it started to get misty and by 12pm it was thick so I put my cover over the scope and went to bed

Next morning I woke to this

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

Thats my scope under what I thought was a cover , but alas it seems not , the dew had gone straight through the cover and the scope was soaking wet , NOT IMPRESSED

Later in the day the mist cleared and we had skys like this

IMG_1286.jpg

So I went back into the OBs center to see the trade stands

IMG_1302.jpg

Some fine equipment

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

Had my first look through a PST scope 3 on site for viewing

IMG_1292.jpg

I thought we had been invaded when I saw this looking over the fence at me :)

IMG_1301.jpg

I had notice lots of lost soles being drawn to this evil looking tent

IMG_1288.jpg

Eventually I to was absorbed to it innards , wont say what I found inside

IMG_1297.jpg

Nice obsevatory

IMG_1296.jpg

Nice plants

IMG_1300.jpg

Invented a new drink while I was there , Its called A bitter OBSY TOP

Later in the afternoon was the raffle

IMG_1308.jpg

My lucky ticket won me 4th prize

A Phillips Book

IMG_1307.jpg

:(:D:D

The sky during the day went from this

IMG_1286.jpg

to this

IMG_1287.jpg

Then this

IMG_1304.jpg

and this

IMG_1303.jpg

So with a forecast of storms and lightning I decided to head for home

All in all I enjoyed the time there

Bring on Kelling :D

Got back from Herstmonceux this afternoon. We too were wondering about the forcast but in the end it remained dry with no thunder storms. It did remain partly cloudy until I went to bed at 12.30 sat night but someone said it did clear after 1am for a while. I was packed away by then anyway so I don`t think I would have dragged the scope out at that time. The dew was a bit too much on Fri night wasn`t it! My dob was still drying off in the sun on Sat afternoon, now the mirror is badly water marked so I will have to give it a clean. On Sunday morning the Storm Troopers gate crashed the party!

post-16474-133877656739_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the report and pictures, looks like a great event. Although I've heard of it before, I didn't realise you could camp there as well - must male a note in the diary for that one. I wonder if they could do this at Sidmouth?

James

.... I didn't realise you could camp there as well - must male a note in the diary for that one. I wonder if they could do this at Sidmouth?.....

I think it's being considered James - I've expressed an interest in some sort of event at Sidmouth if it can be arranged :)

We were in the splitscreen vw opposite you! Nice to meet you. If you had stayed on the saturday night, it did clear for a few hours, but not until about 1 am ish. too late for us as we had fallen asleep by then.

Fully agree that it was a good weekend. We will be there again next year for sure.

We were in the splitscreen vw opposite you! Nice to meet you. If you had stayed on the saturday night, it did clear for a few hours, but not until about 1 am ish. too late for us as we had fallen asleep by then.

Fully agree that it was a good weekend. We will be there again next year for sure.

Nice to meet you and yours , Hope you enjoy you 1ST prize in the raffle

May see you next year :)

Archived