Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new grab and got scope

Moonshane

Hi all. Just a quick post to show off my new purchase. It's a StarSky 90mm f5.5 achromatic refractor.

This is intended as a quick peek, wide field scope really to replace binoculars which I don't get on with and also as a holiday / possibly a solar scope.

The tripod is temporary as I have an Astroboot slowmo alt-az head on the way and I can use that on a home made tall wooden tripod I have in the loft. I may hopefully be able to just change the legs over but if not I'll mod it somehow.

The 26mm Nagler looks at home and with this it gives me around a 4 degree field and 19x magnification. Nice. Looking forward to having a peek later maybe but a quick daytime view of a pylon looks mint.

post-17776-133877655481_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877655487_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877655492_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877655498_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877655503_thumb.jpg

cheers guys. just tried it and it's really nice to use. I had no finder so strapped on a Telrad with an elasticated cord. doesn't actually look as daft as I thought and worked well so I'll be buying another base and putting it on the tube rings when I get them.

I was in classic grab and go territory with intermittent cloud and now full cloud.

had about half an hour, saw M13, M31, M71, double cluster, coathanger and comet, M27 and then with the Oiii, the full extent of the veil nebula. the eastern loop was surprisingly bright considering the 90mm aperture and I was hardly even dark adapted. OK not bright objects but not even a hint of any CA.

Nice little scope Shane :)

I tend to prefer something like that over big binoculars as well.

cheers John

I am really happy with it. still small enough to put in hand luggage (just) and large enough to show a few things.

Glad to see you're getting on with the scope.

I think a lot of people didn't believe me when I said just how good this little scope is. :(

John

definitely John. I am glad it worked out as it did with me getting the 50mm finder too and even the Telrad. I thought it would e a couple of years before I'd own a small frac but now my scope collection is complete.

Four degrees is a great field, wonderful for the entire Veil, the Rosette, the Double Cluster with Stock 2, the Coathanger, etc etc etc. Great setup.

Well I'm going to tell you straight that my scope collection is NOT complete and never will be. How absurd to waste money on filterwheels. One FSQ for red, one for green, one for blue, two for Luminance and three for Ha. Eight full format cameras and away we go!

Sponsorship, anyone??

Olly

Four degrees is a great field, wonderful for the entire Veil, the Rosette, the Double Cluster with Stock 2, the Coathanger, etc etc etc. Great setup.

Well I'm going to tell you straight that my scope collection is NOT complete and never will be. How absurd to waste money on filterwheels. One FSQ for red, one for green, one for blue, two for Luminance and three for Ha. Eight full format cameras and away we go!

Sponsorship, anyone??

Olly

totally agree Olly and this exactly why I bought it. I was originally going to use it as a finder but the costs of mounting it would possibly have been quite high and about the same as the cost of a used 9x50 RACI. one of those came up so I could not resist and here we are.

never seen the rosette nebula so will be a good one, maybe even the NA nebula from a dark site.

I like it shane, is something I hope to acquire soon for the same reasons as yourself, also found big bin option not to my liking. Would that complete things?.......ermmmmmmm :)

go for it! I think a ST80 would also be a great buy and even cheaper.

Looks a really nice setup. I was considering one of these, along with some Skywatcher StarTravel scope as something for wide-field work. In the end I opted for the APM 80mm. These little scopes really give great views of things like the Rosette, Veil, the North America and Pelican Nebulae, as Olly remarked. I do still like the bins as well. The scope gives better quality images, a wider FOV, but the bins are quicker, having zero setup time.

Archived