Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ST80 as a guidescope

I see you have a 200pds?, then I would purchase a standard skywatcher dovetail bar and mount it on the opposite side of your rings. Then mount the ST80 on top of that. Not sure about using the webcam but for my guiding camera I needed an extension tube to get focus without the diagonal. A barlow with the lens removed acts as a good extension tube.

I mount mine on a side by side bar and leave the diagonal in too. The webcam (SPC900NC) is controlled by Phd (free) wich feeds tracking adjustments back to the mount. Everything goes through Ascom drivers (also free to download) including the imaging camera on the other scope.

801aed70290575844edd62257eab94b6_10837.jpg?dl=1303760476

You will need an extension tube to achieve focus. I have used a diagonal as a last resort to gain the extra outwards focus although I can't recommend it as it can introduce differential flexure. Veracocha's mounting method is a good way to start as a low cost method.

As mentioned probably the easiest way to do this is to get a dovetail bar to connect to the two tube rings that hold you 200mm scope onto the HEQ5. You will need two additional tube rings to attach the ST80 to the new dovetail bar. These tube rings will need to be larger than the scope as you will need to convert them to guidescope rings - this is basically where you drill three holes in each ring and six bolts then hold the ST80 in place. It means you can adjust the position of the ST80 very easily. Obviously you'll need to protect the surface of the ST80 from the ends of the bolts with some plastic or rubber. I originallly used some rubber tap washers which worked really well. The holes in the tube rings need to be threaded - the metal is very soft so it's quite easy to do. The attached picture is not very good but it'll give you the idea.:)

Sam

post-14099-133877654926_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

@Uhwaz, interesting concept. I too have an EQ5, any chance of a picture of your balanced full rig including the guide scope.

I'm trying to get my head into shape with the idea of the guide scope hanging off the bottom of the weight shaft, as this would have a reasonable effect on the overall loading of the mount in that counter weight side is not generally taken into account.

Any fixing issues to be wary of?

Guide scope crashing into tripod?

Cheers,

Rich

sorry but no pic, scope has been parked for last couple months in shed as i have new baby in the house so no time for stargazing atm

i didnt have any problems with scope crashing into tripod 

make sure screw is tightened thats about it

shape is like H pretty much, where the middle line is your wieght shaft :)

hope that helps

As mentioned probably the easiest way to do this is to get a dovetail bar to connect to the two tube rings that hold you 200mm scope onto the HEQ5. You will need two additional tube rings to attach the ST80 to the new dovetail bar. These tube rings will need to be larger than the scope as you will need to convert them to guidescope rings - this is basically where you drill three holes in each ring and six bolts then hold the ST80 in place. It means you can adjust the position of the ST80 very easily. Obviously you'll need to protect the surface of the ST80 from the ends of the bolts with some plastic or rubber. I originallly used some rubber tap washers which worked really well. The holes in the tube rings need to be threaded - the metal is very soft so it's quite easy to do. The attached picture is not very good but it'll give you the idea. :)

Sam

I did something similar just today in order to mount my new SW 80. I don't really need guidescope rings I think because the FOV will be bright enough not to worry where it points, but at the moment the rings were all I had to hand.

DSC00343_zps6f4b6f55.jpg

ChrisH

Archived