Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I want it all

Hi All,

I'm still not rushing into buying anything as the Binoculars still provide something new to me every single night i use them. I'm hoping i can hold out till i've been to the Peak Star Party in October, but for the moment lets assume i can't.

I've done a fair bit of reading on everything including imaging, but have decided to put that on the backburner for now until i can afford to buy what i want, but at the same time would like to think that i can buy sensibly now to assist me later.

I reckon i have a budget of around 1200GBP, but i would like to cover a few bases. These are; (in order of priority)

1.Scope 1 - Coronado PST 500GBP

2.Scope 2 - Capable of observing Messiers, and having a WOW moment at Saturn every now and again, but i definitely prefer looking at smudges of distant light.

3.Goto Mount capable of holding both scopes (simultaneously or individually)

4.Portability - Needs to be reasonably portable - so i think a Newt is out - but that's probably contradictory to #2

5.Re-use - Would like to move Scope 2 into an imaging setup at a later date.

6.GEM - Would like to learn how to use a GEM mount before progressing to a proper AP one later on, so ideally #3 would be GEM

From my way of thinking for #4 I am probably best off getting a refractor. Ive just read MEPC and Steve Richards imaging scopes seem to be pretty modest, so I would like to think that when i got around to imaging i could re-use scope 2 in some fashion be it imaging, guiding whatever. and obviously at that point i would relegate the original mount to Coronado use only.

So if a PST takes 500 of my budget, can anyone suggest what the other 700 should be spent on.? Lets assume im only buying new for the moment. I don't even know if this can be done with this budget.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Maybe consider getting a professionally made solar filter for a scope and combining Scopes 1 & 2. I think these cost <£100 so you would then have £1100 for a scope & mount.

You do NOT want to put a PST on a mount with a normal scope at the same time. You may not look through it, but some uninformed person is sure to try (even if this is unlikely, do you want to take the risk?).

Don't know why you feel a newt is not portable. You will have to be able to collomate it (preferrably before every imaging session), so you might as well learn - Its daunting first time, but actually quite satisfying when you do it,

If you are thinking of AP, spend more on the mount than the scope, the consensus of opinion on other posts would be to go for the HEQ5 as a minimum, NEQ6 if you can handle the weight (and the extra pennies). The mount can be extended later to GOTO, and you can upgrade your OTA, but the mount will continue to serve you for AP.

I think going to that Peak Star Party is the best thing you can do. I know we are assuming that does not happen, but going to it will save you lots of headaches and questions. The big question is, are you observing or imaging. When you figure this out, it will make your decision much easier. The problem is many people go into observing, figure out they want to image, and realize they spent a ton of money on the wrong gear. This happens with imagers as well, considering numerous hours setting up, capturing, and processing, it takes the fun out of astronomy for some people. Decide which route you would like to go, and seriously get to that Star Party if you can. Otherwise, you have a good gameplan, just be patient.

Agree with both the above comments. PSP2011 isn't that far off now and there will be a lot of people who can help you decided there.

Also, getting a decent solar filter is probably a more cost effective approach. Consider that an EQ6 can cost around £1k on is own and you don't wasn't to be splitting your budget for the score any further.

Many Messiers are quite wide-field so a lot of images (Olly Penrice makes this point a lot) prefer smaller (3 or 4 inch) refractors for imaging work. This is NOT my area of expertise but I would look to the best quality optics (full apo frac or high quality imaging newt - try OOUK for instance) at the cost of aperture, within reason.

My 2p but do please remember this is regurgitated advice rather than my own experience (apart from the bit about the solar filter).

hth,

J.

good advice above.

I am visual only but know from comments of others (as James says) that the mount is what takes the images, the other gear is almost incidental.

don't forget that you can mount a DSLR (if you have one) to a good mount for taking wide field (and even not so wide field if you have a telephoto lens) on the EQ mount to take images initially so this might be a way to get the best of both worlds initially at least?

In terms of visual observing, for me anyway, once you have seen the planets and moon a few times, and although they remain spectacular objects to observe, you'll need aperture to keep the wow factor. You'll hopefully see what we mean by this at PSP as there will be at least one 16" scope there (mine) and possibly more.

There is a dichotomy to astronomy in some ways with the requirements of each side (visual and AP) having extremely different requirements.

Personally, I have only tried a little (literally about twice) AP and took some point and press snaps of the moon. They were reasonable but I felt the camera was hogging the scope and never went back. Now it's visual all the way for me but I still really enjoy seeing the work of others as we all do.

Don't rush, the stars ain't going anywhere soon. Hopefully see you at PSP.

ha ha true Daz .

one thing I forgot to mention is that like everything the equipment needed for AP will depend on what standard of images you desire and what sorted of targets you intend to image.

if you want reasonable quality 'record shots' then this can be done with less expensive equipment than say the pictures of the week as often these are taken with gear collected over decades and at a high price - maybe 5-10x your budget.

also, like with visual observing, no scope will be capable of imaging all targets so if you have wide ranging taste in targets you'll need a few scopes to cope with that - although you will hardly run out of targets even if you stick to one area!

All good points chaps. I'm only exiled to KL till the end of September, and fully booked and paid up for PSP. So i will see you there.

I think the main reason for my original post is I know how bad i am at not spending money when i have a bit spare... especially when there's so many shiny things.... :)

Thanks for the advice and I will see you in October.

All good points chaps. I'm only exiled to KL till the end of September, and fully booked and paid up for PSP. So i will see you there.

I think the main reason for my original post is I know how bad i am at not spending money when i have a bit spare... especially when there's so many shiny things.... :)

Thanks for the advice and I will see you in October.

im the same burns a hole in my pocket:)

Archived