Positioning of Telrad?

Acquired a Telrad, having been influenced by all the good postings and wanting to go star hopping. The 150 mm f5 Newtonians aren't that large and therefore need advice on two questions.

1) Best position for the Telrad, right up front?

2) Does one need two finders or can one just remove the standard item providing you have spare batteries always available?

Thanks in advance for your input.

As Bulky as they might appear, Telrads are not as 'heavy' as they might first appear which allows you to place them anywhere that is convenient. When you asked about two finders, do you mean two Telrads? The Telrad itself attaches to the scope via a shoe (bracket) so in theory you could attach a number of these brackets to different scopes and just move the Telrad unit between them. If your question meant do you need to keep or use a visual finder as well as the Telrad, the answer would be yes but preferably a right angled one rather than a straight through type, as this in my view would provide the ultimate finder combination.

Hope that helps.

I would fasten the Telrad with a bit of sticky tape first so that, by moving it around, you can find the "best" position for it on the scope. Then stick the base on its own sticky pads - these don't come off so get it right first time!

The normal finder is often useful - so keep it.

Does one need two finders or can one just remove the standard item providing you have spare batteries always available?

Batteries??:)

You won't need spares. Mines been on my Dob years and I've never needed to change em.

Even forgot to switch it off once when I put it away so it was on for about a week and still the same ones are in it.:(

Regards Steve

I think he meant if it was possible to remove the finderscope and put the telrad there instead, which is what many people on here seem to have done when I did a search. I only just got my telrad and put it to the right of the finderscope, its slightly awkward but I am getting used to it. Idealy I woudln't have the findercope but i didn't want the hassle of removing it

I think he meant if it was possible to remove the finderscope and put the telrad there instead, which is what many people on here seem to have done when I did a search. I only just got my telrad and put it to the right of the finderscope, its slightly awkward but I am getting used to it. Idealy I woudln't have the findercope but i didn't want the hassle of removing it

Removal of the finder scope if simple enough, two screws (to remove the base from the OTA) :)

WARNING!!!!!

The 200P (and as such I presume other similar finders) have a bracket INSIDE the OTA. Once you remove the screws that bracket is free to drop down.

Make sure the OTA is horizontal before you do this else you will encounter the problem I had ....

"clunk", "clunk", "thunk" :(

I've mentioned this before but I used a cable tie to "temorarily" fix my telrad and it's so secure I've never found the necessity to make it "permanent" - the only think to be aware of is not to place it too close to the EP so that you bang your head on it when you lean forward to look through the EP!

More sensible advice from Morning Major.

Thanks Sim, it is not my cup but my brain that runneth over.

Post Script:-How did you know I had a big head? It's the one eye in the middle that causes the problems.:)

Archived