NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Minor complaint about Turn Left at Orion

jonathan

I have been using this book in earnest since the dark nights returned, however having found several of the more interesting items for the Summer season I find that quite a number of the items on offer are nearly all around the 'Teapot', which for me is very low in the South and inaccessible from my regular viewing position; even if I gain higher altitude it would be blocked by the light pollution of two main roads and several farms and villages. When I checked on StarWalk on my iPad the 'Teapot' barely gets above the horizon anyway at this time of year.

I just wish there was more to see on the other three points of the compass listed in the book for the Summer season.

On to Autumn and early winter, probably my favourite time of the year. :rolleyes:

Hi Jonathan - check the latitude for your location against that of New York USA. The book was written using a scope in New York which may be a little further south,

The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders is a very similar style to TLAO and has a lot more objects - only about £16 on Amazon :rolleyes:

I found rather than sticking strictly to the correct season, just knowing the constellations I could see from my garden, I'd look those up in Turn Left... for eg there are a fair few that are listed as Spring and Autumn objects that I can still see perfectly well.

Though having said that, I also agree with Brantuk.. since I got my copy of Astronomical Wonders I find I almost exclusively use that book for finding targets to view now, it really does have a massive amount of things to see. So a definite +1 recommendation for that book from me :)

We just have to live with the latitude and weather wherever we are at the time, I'm afraid. Turn Left at Orion is a brilliant resource and I wish it covered more targets, but it was written from observing sites a full 10 degrees of latitiude further south than London - N.Y.C. and the Vatican Observatory at Castel Gandolofo (which has the added advantage of being on top of a mountain) and even further from your location. That's why we have travel scopes and vacations, I guess.

Alan

I'll have to look for "The Illustrated Guide To Astronomical Wonders". I have to admit that I have put aside books every since I discovered Stellarium. Maybe this was a bad decision since although I can locate heavenly bodies better, a book has the power of information that Stellarium can't compare to.

Isabelle

I find that Stellarium and others don't really inspire me to find things to look for, although they are great for helping me find targets that I want to see when I get a bit lost (especially StarWalk on the iPad).

Archived